Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party 2020

36 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Too early, usually starts a couple days later

I wouldn't really look forward to any particular day though or else this entire wait will be torture. Big wave on May 27 tho. Its Wendy individually emailing each applicant x 100+ so it may take a while too

Please update the thread once any of you hear from Wendy regarding a spot opening up

Didn't some people get offers the very next day last year or the year before that?

Just now, Furosemide said:

Hey all, got an offer from my IP school so will be declining my Mac offer. Best of luck to you all and please don't let anyone take the joy of getting an acceptance to med school away from you, regardless of how you got it!

Congrats on your multiple acceptances. The Mac waitlist squad appreciates your sacrifice 

As an interesting note to anyone waitlisted, ALL the accepted people did not have "the button" and all the people waitlisted did have it. Now, it could be random still, but I find that interesting since it means the data compiled for trying to figure out "the button" is relevant to waitlisted people, although there's no guarantee that everyone who did have the button was waitlisted. 

14 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

As an interesting note to anyone waitlisted, ALL the accepted people did not have "the button" and all the people waitlisted did have it. Now, it could be random still, but I find that interesting since it means the data compiled for trying to figure out "the button" is relevant to waitlisted people, although there's no guarantee that everyone who did have the button was waitlisted. 

Not all, saw an accepted person with the button. Just sampling bias at work. 

Before coming to conclusions I like to first understand why certain decisions are made. From what I’ve read, it seems like no waitlist details are provided because in previous years they wanted to prevent people from inferring their MMI performance. I guess that makes sense. But given that our waitlist position this year is randomized, I fail to see why releasing details should be avoided. If anything, the only outcome of telling us would be a great reduction in anxiety for several people. Can someone explain to me a good reason for keeping details secret. If there isn’t a reason, would it be silly of me to ask this of McMaster? 

Just now, SBrown said:

Before coming to conclusions I like to first understand why certain decisions are made. From what I’ve read, it seems like no waitlist details are provided because in previous years they wanted to prevent people from inferring their MMI performance. I guess that makes sense. But given that our waitlist position this year is randomized, I fail to see why releasing details should be avoided. If anything, the only outcome of telling us would be a great reduction in anxiety for several people. Can someone explain to me a good reason for keeping details secret. If there isn’t a reason, would it be silly of me to ask this of McMaster? 

I don’t really understand their reasoning either... honestly I would greatly appreciate any additional information on waitlist size or location! I feel like as long as you ask Wendy nicely, it can’t hurt.

Just now, takasugi said:

Maybe they don't want to tell your waitlist rank because it's more work for them? IDK. Everytime someone declines, wouldn't they have to update you on where you rank?

For sure that does seem like too much work. Good point. Perhaps even just knowing how many are on the list would be nice though. But then there would still be uncertainty. Perhaps I should just learn to deal with the uncertainty instead of looking for more info to appease me haha. In any case, good luck to all of you! 

I also suspect that they won't release waitlist info, so you can't try and game/gamble your position on the waitlist for other schools. For example if you have an offer, but waitlisted somewhere, you may behave differently in terms of waiting/accepting offers across Ontario, and especially outside the province, where Mac doesn't have info if you've accepted a different offer. 

9 minutes ago, MedWonderer said:

Out of curiosity, some people here have said they are rejecting the waitlist. Will they be offered interviews next year too? 

I feel like if they didn’t accept a med school offer anywhere else, they would? But I feel like most people won’t reject a wl and apply to med schools again unless they accepted another med offer

10 minutes ago, MedWonderer said:

Out of curiosity, some people here have said they are rejecting the waitlist. Will they be offered interviews next year too? 

I would assume someone rejecting the waitlist is accepting an offer somewhere else so they would not need to interview next year as they would be in med school already