Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

Hey everyone,

Congrats to those accepted, and to the rest of us, good luck. Others suggested someone create a thread to post your e-mail time-stamps in so we can potentially determine our ranking based off of the earliest time-stamp. 

If you'd like, please post:

Stream (EN/FR):
Time You Received E-mail: 
"Created" Time:
wGPA: 

To discover the "created time", click on the three dots in the top-right of the e-mail. On Outlook, go to View --> View Source Message --> Ctrl + F "Creation". That is the time at which the e-mail was created. 

It seems like created time is pretty consistently 30 seconds or so before the e-mail arrives in your inbox. I'll keep it in, but for those in the future, don't feel that it's necessary to spend time finding it. 

***PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UPDATE YOUR POST IF YOU GET ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST, THIS WILL HELP US DETERMINE IF THERE IS A RANKING SYSTEM FROM THE E-MAIL TIME/GPA.***

(Us attempting to figure this out strangely reminds me of cargo cults: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult)

Personally:

Stream (EN/FR): English
Time You Received E-mail: 7:40 AM
"Created" Time: 7:39:30 AM
wGPA: 3.94

Wishing everyone the best

EDIT: I got an offer at 2:06pm June 8 off the WL!!! I even convinced myself the class was full because there was a prolonged period without movement (over a week after offers coming out every 3-4 days).

Stream (EN/FR): EN

Time You Received E-mail: 7:41

"Created" Time: 7:41:2x

wGPA: low 3.9

Really hoping for a miracle as this was my only interview this cycle as a repeat applicant

5 minutes ago, BingBop said:

Hey everyone,

Congrats to those accepted, and to the rest of us, good luck. Others suggested someone create a thread to post your e-mail time-stamps in so we can potentially determine our ranking based off of the earliest time-stamp. 

If you'd like, please post:

Stream (EN/FR):
Time You Received E-mail: 
"Created" Time:

To discover the "created time", click on the three dots in the top-right of the e-mail. On Outlook, go to View --> View Source Message --> Ctrl + F "Creation". That is the time at which the e-mai was created. 

Personally:

Stream (EN/FR): English
Time You Received E-mail: 7:40 AM
"Created" Time: 7:38 AM

Wishing everyone the best

Can we edit to also include GPA? Apparently offers off of the WL depend largely on GPA.

9 minutes ago, Crunch said:

Can we edit to also include GPA? Apparently offers off of the WL depend largely on GPA.

I've seen this in past threads but I really don't understand the theory. Why would they throw away the score they use for determining admissions for the first 116 seats (50% GPA + 50% Interview Score) in favour of using GPA only for those on the waitlist? It just doesn't really make sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Premed050 said:

Does the email time for sure have indication on the WL ranking ? 

Hopefully if enough people update their posts when they're taken off the waitlist we can figure that out. It is definitely not 100% confirmed, and it seems silly to me that they would order their e-mail list by rank. I'm guessing it probably has to do with our first/last names, but to prevent doxxing, let's avoid giving out initials. Regardless, we're running a collaborative science experiment here :)

On 5/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, BingBop said:

I've seen this in past threads but I really don't understand the theory. Why would they throw away the score they use for determining admissions for the first 116 seats (50% GPA + 50% Interview Score) in favour of using GPA only for those on the waitlist? It just doesn't really make sense to me.

Its more complicated than that from what I've read here and heard from a few others. Essentially there are bins of applicants based on their interview performance (E.g.,  "Excellent, Great, Good, Fair, Poor) and offers go by best to worst bin. In turn, the ranking of students within each bin is based on GPA.

Maybe someone can corroborate/correct this^?

6 minutes ago, pnpclear said:

Stream (EN/FR): FR CNFS

Time You Received E-mail: 7:19

"Created" Time: 7:19

cGPA: 3.93 (OMSAS)

Unfortunately French CNFS timestamp does not reflect position on WL or it does, but there is more than one person per timestamp (seconds). Someone who was the timestamp right before me (one second before me) was accepted off the waitlist last year and declined but I didn't receive anything. Plus 2 people had the exact same timestamp.

1 minute ago, Crunch said:

Its more complicated than that from what I've read here and heard from a few others. Essentially there are bins of applicants based on their interview performance (E.g.,  "Excellent, Great, Good, Fair, Poor) and offers go by best to worst bin. In turn, the ranking of students within each bin is based on GPA.

Maybe someone can corroborate/correct this^?

My stats:

Stream (EN/FR): EN, bilingual
Time You Received E-mail: 7:38
"Created" Time: 7:37

GPA : 3.969

I think we're guessing that the time stamps for the emails may allude to this ranking (which would make sense to rank through bins based on GPA, from what I see with data points here). Doesn't hurt to share the GPA but I think it might be factored into the "Created" time... but just speculation rn haha

4 minutes ago, Crunch said:

I dunno, perhaps that's true, but I don't think it's ever actually been confirmed. Again, it just seems overly convoluted to me for them to throw out the ranking system they've already used in favour of another. 

But, if there's one word I'd use to describe this whole application process, it's convoluted. So who knows.