Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

I did it... I e-mailed Admissmd/Chantal asking if they are able to provide us with some insight into the movement of the waitlist or if the class is reaching it's limit.

I did say in the e-mail however that if they are busy and the email is an inconvenience to them that they can disregard (I can imagine they're getting slammed right now with administration things).

I will let you know if I get a response! My heart was beating so fast before I sent it LOL. 

3 minutes ago, newmy88 said:

I did it... I e-mailed Admissmd/Chantal asking if they are able to provide us with some insight into the movement of the waitlist or if the class is reaching it's limit.

I did say in the e-mail however that if they are busy and the email is an inconvenience to them that they can disregard (I can imagine they're getting slammed right now with administration things).

I will let you know if I get a response! My heart was beating so fast before I sent it LOL. 

Not sure if this makes you feel any better or not but I emailed admissmd (it's actually Diane who monitors that email :) ) a few days ago and she replied very fast!

I know this wait is excruciating but this is the bro science I have been using to give myself hope, maybe it'll be of use to some of you as well.

There are currently 190 people in the facebook group, with 19 known moderators. I think it is safe to assume at least 10-20 people in the group have accepted another school's offer... I'm going to say 20 because it makes me feel better so:

190 - 19- 20 = 151 students accepted. https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf <-- this indicates there is a total of 166 spots for both streams + CFNS. 166-151= 15. Thus there is at least 15 more spots.

**Side note- yes i know not all that are accepted have joined the group, yes there may actually be only 5 people who have not chosen Ottawa in the group, yes there may be a bunch of reasons that disprove this, but it gives me hope so hopefully it does for a few of you as well

so I send the email yesterday night and Diane just answered (they do answer so fast !)...

She told me : « 
Il y a encore du mouvement sur la liste d’attente.  Une fois que la classe sera complète, nous allons envoyer un courriel à tous les candidats sur la liste d’attente. Je vous souhaite bonne chance, Diane» In English : There is still some movement on the WL. When the class will be complete, we will send an email to everybody on the WL. I wish you good luck, Diane»

It gives me a little hope ! :wub: and I hope you are right about the facebook group :)

13 minutes ago, DrHopes said:

so I send the email yesterday night and Diane just answered (they do answer so fast !)...

She told me : « 
Il y a encore du mouvement sur la liste d’attente.  Une fois que la classe sera complète, nous allons envoyer un courriel à tous les candidats sur la liste d’attente. Je vous souhaite bonne chance, Diane» In English : There is still some movement on the WL. When the class will be complete, we will send an email to everybody on the WL. I wish you good luck, Diane»

It gives me a little hope ! :wub: and I hope you are right about the facebook group :)

Amazing! and hopefully @newmy88 gets a good response for the english stream too! 

8 minutes ago, newmy88 said:

Not the news I was hoping for but:

“at this point I can certainly share the following information; we have very little movement left on the list as the class is almost filled. Once the class is complete, we will definitely send an email to those who remain on the list to inform them.”

Don’t lose hope guys!!! I find it interesting  how she said that about the English stream but not the French stream. Do you guys think there’s more movement on the French side at this point in time or...?

14 minutes ago, newmy88 said:

Not the news I was hoping for but:

“at this point I can certainly share the following information; we have very little movement left on the list as the class is almost filled. Once the class is complete, we will definitely send an email to those who remain on the list to inform them.”

Assuming "almost filled" means ~95% full (just my arbitrary guess), maybe there are 5-6 spots left in english?

6 minutes ago, zackattack881 said:

Don’t lose hope guys!!! I find it interesting  how she said that about the English stream but not the French stream. Do you guys think there’s more movement on the French side at this point in time or...?

I emailed anonymously, so I think that’s taking both streams into consideration unfortunately :( 

that email is also directly from Chantal

2 minutes ago, greysweater said:

Assuming "almost filled" means ~95% full (just my arbitrary guess), maybe there are 5-6 spots left in english?

Hopefully there's some left for English! My concern (again, I know absolutely nothing and don't want to raise any distress, just sharing thought process) is that Dr.Hopes asked regarding the french stream and was answered "there is still movement left". Newmy88 asked ambiguously (for both streams) and was told "very little movement remains". The first response was from Diane and the second from Chantal (so diction could differ between them). Do you guys think it's only a bit of french movement left? Just for discussion's sake though regardless of what happens we should all be proud of the accomplishments and keep going on with great attitudes into the next app cycle! :D

2 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Hopefully there's some left for English! My concern (again, I know absolutely nothing and don't want to raise any distress, just sharing thought process) is that Dr.Hopes asked regarding the french stream and was answered "there is still movement left". Newmy88 asked ambiguously (for both streams) and was told "very little movement remains". The first response was from Diane and the second from Chantal (so diction could differ between them). Do you guys think it's only a bit of french movement left? Just for discussion's sake though regardless of what happens we should all be proud of the accomplishments and keep going on with great attitudes into the next app cycle! :D

I feel like because everyone at their office is working from home, there probably isn't much dialogue between Chantal and Diane. It's possible that what one person interprets as "some" could be another person's "very little"

1 hour ago, newmy88 said:

I emailed anonymously, so I think that’s taking both streams into consideration unfortunately :( 

that email is also directly from Chantal

I think if you emailed in English she assumed it was for the English stream, but in either case, I wouldn’t expect there to be much movement in the French stream either! Let’s see what happens, hopefully sooner than later!

at first I was really happy with Diane's answer, it gave me hope, but then I started to think it might be like a generic answer because they do not want to give to much details... you know what ? imma send another email to the Queen herself, Chantale, and I'll ask specifically for the french WL. I'll let you guys know !

Desperate times, desperate measures ! 

2 hours ago, TrustTheProcess21 said:

I think if you emailed in English she assumed it was for the English stream, but in either case, I wouldn’t expect there to be much movement in the French stream either! Let’s see what happens, hopefully sooner than later!

yes and she said «the class» and not «the classes»... I don't know, I don't want to believe that it's full, especially for french like it almost did not move and like Quebec accepts more medical students and everything... Like being rational, I would expect a bigggg wave !

I guess we will know soon, the email is sent ! 

1 minute ago, DrHopes said:

yes and she said «the class» and not «the classes»... I don't know, I don't want to believe that it's full, especially for french like it almost did not move and like Quebec accepts more medical students and everything... Like being rational, I would expect a bigggg wave !

I guess we will know soon, the email is sent ! 

Thank you for sending the email, you’re a true MVP!

okay so here's what Chantal answered................................................................ exactly the same as english and I asked specifically for french..........

Bonjour,

Merci pour votre courriel et pour votre patience.

Il n’y a actuellement pas beaucoup de mouvement sur la liste d’attente car nous sommes très près d’avoir une classe complète.

Dès que tous les places seront acceptées, nous enverrons certainement un courriel générique à tous ceux et celles qui restent sur la liste d’attente pour les informer.

Cordialement,

Chantal