Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

I just wanted to drop a comment because of the support I received from this group of applicants and I see some getting demoralized. I know today must have been hard but it does not define you, the same way May 12 did not define you. Persistence is a HUGE factor in who becomes a physician so do not give up! It took me longer than average (4 cycles, but 2nd time applying at uOttawa and first time interviewing). Whenever I was hit with Rs I found action helped me move on whereas inaction forced me to dwell. Wherever possible, be proactive in improving your application for next year, hopefully you will get interviews at more schools and give yourself an even better chance and potentially have the coveted position of choosing between multiple offers. E.g. UofT essays will be coming out in July, get a head start on them, do a 5th year if your GPA is low, kill the MCAT if it's holding you back somewhere. When you get your interview invite next year you'll know exactly what to improve on from this cycle but get feedback from med students or other applicants with strong interview skills as much as possible. For those of you that reach out to me, I will try to help.

Tl;dr please do not give up, it may take you another year or two but you may be much more successful then and right now work on improving your app; the grind never stops in this field.

@ApplyingMD Did ya ever end up calling them? If you do, maybe just let them know that you haven't received any correspondence from them since ________, and were hoping to verify that your contact information on file is correct since you have seen others mention that they've been receiving e-mails about the class being full. 

I hope everything turns out :(

If anyone gets in after the email of death please still feel free to still post it here! We will be sad that we are not you but we would still be grateful to know :) 

Before anyone comes after me for having false hope, just please don't lol. Odds are 1-2 people will get in so let's keep the platform open and supportive to them regardless of how we feel.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know (and future years looking at trends) that I got in yesterday! Thank you all again for the incredible support and being there for each other and myself every step of the way from interview invites to the waiting and the OMSAS button controversies. Each step both good and bad was a pleasure to experience with you all! I wish you all incredible luck and please know my inbox is always open if you wanna have a chat! Once again thank you all <3

1 hour ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know (and future years looking at trends) that I got in yesterday! Thank you all again for the incredible support and being there for each other and myself every step of the way from interview invites to the waiting and the OMSAS button controversies. Each step both good and bad was a pleasure to experience with you all! I wish you all incredible luck and please know my inbox is always open if you wanna have a chat! Once again thank you all <3

OHHHHH MY GOD IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Congratulations!!

On 7/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Dr. Shqipe said:

AMAZING!! Huge congratulations to you! And thank you for posting it!! (showing the world there WAS some hope left after the email of death ;))

7 hours ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

YAAYY!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I don't know if anyone has already made this joke but you are officially going to become a DOCTOR  Doctor.Shiqipe! 

On 7/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, Dr. Shqipe said:

OH MY GOD CONGRATS!!!!! i am so so soooo happy for you!!! :wub: you've been such a kind and supportive presence in this thread and you are SO very deserving of this acceptance. best of luck with med school, i'm sure that you're going to do such great things :')

• 3 weeks later...