Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

2 minutes ago, nsa98 said:

Where did you get the 160 waitlist number from

I put the assumption I made in brackets. Historically, they accept about 80 students off the waitlist. If you are ranked past #160 on the waitlist, I would think they would just reject you with a bad waitlist e-mail. 

Just now, BingBop said:

I put the assumption I made in brackets. Historically, they accept about 80 students off the waitlist. If you are ranked past #160 on the waitlist, I would think they would just reject you with a bad waitlist e-mail. 

Ohh ok makes sense sorry I misunderstood. Hopefully that average sticks this year.

47 minutes ago, Crunch said:

I think you may have made a mistake in your times. It seems like you received the email 47 seconds before it was even created ha.

Ooooh it is because I was not clear ! Actually, the time it was created is 04:25:48 PDT time zone... but then it says «received after 1 second» which is why I thought it was 7:25:01, I think it is just the delay to deliver the email.:huh:

50 minutes ago, DrHopes said:

I think the bin theory is accurate. I thought my email was created at 7:25:01 but actually, this is the time I received it. 

My email was actually created at 7:25:48, so I am just below you. My GPA is also just below yours : 3,96 and yours is 3,97. 

We just don't know if we actually are in a good bin (aaaahhh I wish we had ranks :()... But I did not saw posts of WL before that time for the french stream. I know some people who received it at 7:26, though. 

On tient bon ! Je prie ! :wub:

I'm assuming you received your email at 7:26:01 then, unless you meant the email was created at 7:24:48.

3 minutes ago, zm2018 said:

2018/2019: 87 off the waitlist, class size of 156 (https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf)

How on earth did you find this, I spent a good 10 minutes looking for it on their website earlier! Thanks for the info, nice to see that the average number off the waitlist seems to be higher than I thought. Looks like it's closer to 90 than 80. 

I have a feeling the number of applicants on the "good" waitlist will just be the class size x2. So approx 153×2. Cuz there could theoretically be 100% of offers declined and to mitigate this (low) chance Ottawa will need to make sure they have enough "potential" offers to make sure they can fill their class. Idk. Purgatory sucks. 

41 minutes ago, BingBop said:

Just some quick, neurotic pre-med, back of the napkin math:

*While staying conservative in assumptions

~570 students interviewed

~480 for English

116 Accepted Outright

~ 170 students put on "Good Waitlist" (Assumption: If you're more than 2x past the usual rank accepted off the waitlist, I would think they sent you a bad waitlist email)

~65 students accepted off waitlist into English stream

So far we have 25 responses. This would be a response rate in this thread of 1/7 if my math is correct. This seems rather reasonable, perhaps on the low-end if anything. 

There are 170 STUDENTS on the good waitlist???

Also, I feel as if waitlist movement will be less this year because people will be declining Mac in favour of Ottawa :(

1 minute ago, TrustTheProcess21 said:

I'm assuming you received your email at 7:26:01 then, unless you meant the email was created at 7:24:48.

Non. C'est parce que j'étais pas claire pi en plus j'parle mal anglais. Mon email a été créé à 7:25:48. Sur Gmail, ça disait ''délivré après 1 seconde'' et j'pensais que c'était la date de création... Breffff, créé à 48 secondes, reçu après 1 seconde. 

On «trust the process». Lâche pas :wub:

5 minutes ago, premed72 said:

I have a feeling the number of applicants on the "good" waitlist will just be the class size x2. So approx 153×2. Cuz there could theoretically be 100% of offers declined and to mitigate this (low) chance Ottawa will need to make sure they have enough "potential" offers to make sure they can fill their class. Idk. Purgatory sucks. 

Assuming they use any sort of logic when determining the size of the good waitlist, I feel like it would make more sense to base it off of the past numbers of students who declined (~50%), and double that, rather than just prepare for the near-zero chance of 100% declining. You could be absolutely correct though. 

@pinkneuron Nobody really knows for sure, that's just my conservative guess based off of how I would logically run the system. 

1 minute ago, BingBop said:

Assuming they use any sort of logic when determining the size of the good waitlist, I feel like it would make more sense to base it off of the past numbers of students who declined (~50%), and double that, rather than just prepare for the near-zero chance of 100% declining. You could be absolutely correct though. 

I was actually gonna give you props on your initial back of the napkin math. I think it could be a possibility and I hope it is real haha. I think the math falls within both our estimates at least.

17 minutes ago, premed72 said:

I was actually gonna give you props on your initial back of the napkin math. I think it could be a possibility and I hope it is real haha. I think the math falls within both our estimates at least.

We're starting to become a cargo cult trying to figure out what the hell we have to do to get another airdrop hahahaha

1 minute ago, klj.klnmk,mn said:

No balls here. But I wish she would tell us just that at least.

I am at the bottom of the bottom but would love to know what number is that, just so I can mentally move on. 

As ridiculous as it is for me to say this considering how much effort I've put in trying to decipher this, remember that it could all be meaningless. It's not over til it's over. I completely get where you're coming from, and I too wish they'd be more transparent. But if there's anything I've learned from applying to medical school, it's that admissions committees hate being transparent. 

At the end of the day, it's all a freakin lottery anyway when it comes down to who looks at your application and who your interview panel is. At least McMaster is open about it being random this year. 

Stream (EN/FR): EN
Time You Received E-mail: 7:47am EST
"Created" Time: Wasn't able to figure out how to do this 
wGPA: 3.888 -->3.89 if they round

I'm guessing this is a "good/normal" waitlist because there was no indication of people in my position not receiving an offer in the past. However, I'll be accepting my offer from Western and removing myself from this waitlist. I wish you all the best, good luck!