Premed 101 Forums

Queens Waitlist Party 2020

On 5/12/2020 at 9:37 AM, Ontario have mercy said:

If I accept my Mac offer does it automatically take me off the Queen's waitlist?

I initially thought that's how it works but a part of the waitlist email made me think that you still need to tell Queens that you want to be removed from the Queens waitlist? Maybe it is worth calling them to clarify this!

image.png.9a8a9bc98ee0d11c2c3b64bc116b10aa.png

I was also waitlisted at Queens. Got my email May 12 at 9:32am. (And for the button theorists, I did have a "reset responses" button on OMSAS)

Hoping for good waitlist movement for those of us on the waitlist! In this together 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:42 AM, kingassault said:

Waitlisted as well. I think queens typically has a big waitlist but they also take 90+ applicants every year off the waitlist, so we all have a decent chance!

Do you or anyone know approximately how many people are on the WL?

6 hours ago, hopetobeadoc said:

I initially thought that's how it works but a part of the waitlist email made me think that you still need to tell Queens that you want to be removed from the Queens waitlist? Maybe it is worth calling them to clarify this!

image.png.9a8a9bc98ee0d11c2c3b64bc116b10aa.png

I was also waitlisted at Queens. Got my email May 12 at 9:32am. (And for the button theorists, I did have a "reset responses" button on OMSAS)

Hoping for good waitlist movement for those of us on the waitlist! In this together 

I called them, they went to voicemail and said emails only. 

Does anyone know if Queen's waitlist begins to move before the deadline to accept offers at other Ontario schools (May 26)? Or is it after?

7 minutes ago, Ontario have mercy said:

I called them, they went to voicemail and said emails only. 

Does anyone know if Queen's waitlist begins to move before the deadline to accept offers at other Ontario schools (May 26)? Or is it after?

As mentioned before, on deadline +/- 1 day. Mine was day before deadline. 

26 minutes ago, bleh12345 said:

I got waitlisted... Do I need to send an email to confirm I am interested to join the waitlist? If so, how can I do so?

No need to confirm as per email:

”Please note you do not need to confirm if you wish to remain on our list. If you accept an offer of admission at another school of medicine and no longer wish to be considered at Queen's, we would be grateful if you would let our office know. Please email queensmd@queensu.ca if you wish to have your name removed from the wait list.“

5 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

Yeah... same (also waiting for Mac), but statistically it seems like we have a better chance getting in off waitlist than first round offers!

im waiting for mac, ottawa and queens, the wait is killing me. 

Just wondering what makes u think we have a better chance now?

2 minutes ago, MDLD said:

im waiting for mac, ottawa and queens, the wait is killing me. 

Just wondering what makes u think we have a better chance now?

I think first round offers are 90 ( taking away quarms and indigenous applicants) out of 500 interviewed. ~20% chance

And historically they offer to 190 or something by the end. So there are about 100 waitlist offers out of at most 400 people. Since some people are rejected and some remove themselves from the waitlist, it’s definitely more than 25% chance

(idk if they over offer... if they do then I’m not sure)

On 5/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, waitingontheworld said:

Also wondering what bleh12345 said: so if we get accepted off the waitlist of one school early (school A) and accept it, and I'm still waiting on another school's (school B ) waitlist, will I be taken off school B's waitlist if I accept school A?

I think that’s how it works... they also usually contact you to ask if you’ve accepted any other offers

12 hours ago, fingerscrossed2020 said:

I think that’s how it works... they also usually contact you to ask if you’ve accepted any other offers

I don't think so since most universities require students to make a decision before June. I think if you accept an offer, you can wait for your status on a wait list of a different university and if accepted, you can accept the new offer. However, I need confirmation, this is only what I understood from reading Queen's FAQ page:

https://www.queensu.ca/admission/covid-19-faqs?utm_campaign=2020-04-14-uar-faqs&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uar

(Scroll down to Waitlist FAWS -> Will accepting another offer of admission hurt my chances of getting a waitlist offer from Queen’s?)

35 minutes ago, bleh12345 said:

I don't think so since most universities require students to make a decision before June. I think if you accept an offer, you can wait for your status on a wait list of a different university and if accepted, you can accept the new offer. However, I need confirmation, this is only what I understood from reading Queen's FAQ page:

https://www.queensu.ca/admission/covid-19-faqs?utm_campaign=2020-04-14-uar-faqs&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uar

(Scroll down to Waitlist FAWS -> Will accepting another offer of admission hurt my chances of getting a waitlist offer from Queen’s?)

This is incorrect. You're getting your information from an undergraduate programs webpage, whose admissions process is quite different from that of the medical school admissions process (OMSAS). 

Once you accept an offer at one Ontario school, you are removed from all other waitlists in Ontario automatically. In other words, once you accept an offer, you're locked in.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/accept-offer-remain-on-wait-lists/

1 hour ago, unarmed walrus said:

This is incorrect. You're getting your information from an undergraduate programs webpage, whose admissions process is quite different from that of the medical school admissions process (OMSAS). 

Once you accept an offer at one Ontario school, you are removed from all other waitlists in Ontario automatically. In other words, once you accept an offer, you're locked in.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/accept-offer-remain-on-wait-lists/

Does this apply to non-medical programs as well?