Premed 101 Forums

extending an offer deadline??

i was very fortunate to have received an offer at mcmaster but i was high waitlisted at western which is where my long term partner will be for the next 6 years. i have to accept the mac offer by may 26th, and western waitlist will not move until after the 26th passes. 

i'm wondering if there is any possibility that mcmaster will be flexible in extending the deadline to accept my offer under these extenuating circumstances? i would obviously be very happy to go to mac but for the aforementioned life & family planning reasons it's really important for me to wait to come off the western waitlist.

i will probably ask regardless, but i'm just trying to get some hope about my situation. thank you in advance!

4 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

are you sure western's waitlist won't move until after 26th? do OMSAS schools' waitlists ever move before then? sorry I don't have an answer to your question, I wish you best of luck!! and ofc congrats on mcmaster :)

thank you :)

yeah, i've read that western doesn't move until the 26th (on the other hand, mac does)

1 minute ago, Bambi said:

I don’t see any hope and you’d be a fool to risk non-acceptance.

I was away from my s.o. for 5 years, we made it work and are still together many years later.

unfortunately we've been apart for 5 years already. for us it's not so much about "making it work" as much as the fact that we are on the older side and would want to be thinking about marriage and children in the near future

i'm not planning to risk non-acceptance at the moment, just wondering the chances that mac will be flexible & extend my offer deadline

1 hour ago, goodvibes said:

i was very fortunate to have received an offer at mcmaster but i was high waitlisted at western which is where my long term partner will be for the next 6 years. i have to accept the mac offer by may 26th, and western waitlist will not move until after the 26th passes. 

i'm wondering if there is any possibility that mcmaster will be flexible in extending the deadline to accept my offer under these extenuating circumstances? i would obviously be very happy to go to mac but for the aforementioned life & family planning reasons it's really important for me to wait to come off the western waitlist.

i will probably ask regardless, but i'm just trying to get some hope about my situation. thank you in advance!

Anecdotally, I've heard that Western has gotten through their high waitlist into the regular waitlist every year for the past 5 or so years. Despite that, I would probably still agree with the other people who have responded to your post and would advise you to take the Mac offer since you never know when things can change without notice (i.e. maybe more people accept Western this year, maybe they have a smaller waitlist than previously). I think its too risky to hope to get a Western offer when you have an offer right now from Mac. 

That's a shitty situation. I'm going to go against the grain and say that you should consider declining Mac. It's true that it's not 100% whether or not you'd be accepted to Western (and if you are, it could be Windsor campus) but there's probably a 90%+ chance you will be. It's up to you whether that 10% is worth moving away from your fiancée, and either decision would be understandable - I don't think it's as clearcut as taking Mac's offer because (in this situation) a small risk seems worth it.

As for asking Mac to extend your offer, I doubt they would, but you may as well email them. No harm done, even if you already know they'll probably say no.

one thing to consider is you at least have another interview for mac next year if things don't work out. 

Although most would say the forsure offer I too understand the struggles when you have a partner involved. Also consider after 3 years at Mac you could end up somewhere else for residency. 

I too will be weighing my relationship into my decisions so don't feel like your the only one to do so or that its bad. 

As people have said I think its 90% sure u will get off the high waitlist. 

Something to consider is that these are unprecedented times and so waitlist movement may be different.

4 hours ago, William Osler said:

A high waitlist at Western is always accepted like others have said. They always dip into the normal waitlist past the high waitlist

To this point - there was a year when they did not clear the high waitlist.

hey everyone, thank you so much for your input. i still have no idea what i'm going to do but i might try to weasel some more information out of western re: the waitlist and i'll still be contacting mac in the hopes they'll be able to extend my deadline. fingers crossed i guess :(

9 minutes ago, goodvibes said:

hey everyone, thank you so much for your input. i still have no idea what i'm going to do but i might try to weasel some more information out of western re: the waitlist and i'll still be contacting mac in the hopes they'll be able to extend my deadline. fingers crossed i guess :(

Best of luck to you and your partner :)

6 hours ago, goodvibes said:

Just a heads up...I believe that most high waitlisters were offered Windsor campus last year, so keep that in mind.