Premed 101 Forums

2020 waitlist support thread

Wanted to start this thread for all the waitlisters. I really thought I was done waiting, and I think waiting another month might possibly drive me crazy in this isolation haha. Head is up though! Grateful for any opportunity at all :)

I'm hoping people can post in this thread when they get offered admission off the waitlist so other people on the waitlist know if there has been any movement. Thanks! I know it won't be til the end of the month likely, but needed something to do rn haha

Just now, hopingformd said:

does anyone know how many ppl are on the waitlist every year? i legit have no idea how good/bad the chances are once you're waitlisted...

I honestly know a ton of people that have gotten off the waitlist at U of C because of deferrals, people accepting other offers who are OOP etc. Especially because so many people also get accepted to U of A I have heard it moves quite quickly unlike some other Canadian med schools.

This is obviously anecdotal so as for stats I don't know outside of what Dr. P said in the email (35-70%). 

I am wondering though if the waitlist is shorter this year because the number of spots decreased in the class? 

52 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

Wanted to start this thread for all the waitlisters. I really thought I was done waiting, and I think waiting another month might possibly drive me crazy in this isolation haha. Hopes up though! Grateful for any opportunity at all :)

I'm hoping people can post in this thread when they get offered admission off the waitlist so other people on the waitlist know if there has been any movement. Thanks! I know it won't be til the end of the month likely, but needed something to do rn haha

Also from my friend who got accepted, you have to accept by May 25 so we will know by then :) thank goodness!!!! but yes the waiting is rough lol!

On 5/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, carepep said:

I honestly know a ton of people that have gotten off the waitlist at U of C because of deferrals, people accepting other offers who are OOP etc. Especially because so many people also get accepted to U of A I have heard it moves quite quickly unlike some other Canadian med schools.

This is obviously anecdotal so as for stats I don't know outside of what Dr. P said in the email (35-70%). 

I am wondering though if the waitlist is shorter this year because the number of spots decreased in the class? 

yeah, i was just little worried because the waitlist mvmt was "lower than normal" (per the blog) last year, which was the first year they interviewed 100+ more ppl than usual. 

Does Calgary have seat allocation quotas? ie first fill all in-province reserved seats, than fill all OOP province reserved seats?

Also does each waitlist pool of applicants apply to their corresponding groups (ie IP waitlist moves to fill IP seats, and OOP waitlist moves to fill OOP seats), or is it a free-for-all type of scenario?

4 minutes ago, premedlul said:

Does Calgary have seat allocation quotas? ie first fill all in-province reserved seats, than fill all OOP province reserved seats?

Also does each waitlist pool of applicants apply to their corresponding groups (ie IP waitlist moves to fill IP seats, and OOP waitlist moves to fill OOP seats), or is it a free-for-all type of scenario?

its somewhere on the blog, but basically everyone is on one waitlist based on rank order (IP and OOP), and offers are given in that order. The only difference being they take out the OOPs once the quota is reached. For this reason, its rumored that OOPs get off first bc they needed a higher pre-interview score to get their interview. 

Not sure how the cohort 2:1 thing works though. 

1 minute ago, hopingformd said:

yeah, i'm just a little worried because the waitlist mvmt was "abnormally low" (per the blog) last year, which was the first year they interviewed 100+ more ppl than usual. So with our super low seat count, sounds like it'll be even lower this year? 

Also, with the new Director, we don't even know if it was still 1.2 offers sent out this year. 

Hmm yes I am not sure about that. I still know 3 people who were waitlisted last year that got in. I think it honestly depends on the year unfortunately in terms of waitlist movement like he said in his email! 

I'm not giving up hope though because it's still better than a rejection which most people get you know :) 

So...if I read the numbers right. UofC offered 42 seats more than what is available (assuming 128 "new" seats and 170 offers). In essence, wouldn't those be technically counted as waitlisters as well? Historically, between 91 and 95 offers are declined, am i wrong in assuming that only the top 45 or so actual waitlisted people have a real chance? Leaving about 100 people on the waitlist. Seems like a large number.

Any thoughts of why it's done this way? or why they won't reveal waitlist position?

9 minutes ago, powdermonkey13 said:

So...if I read the numbers right. UofC offered 42 seats more than what is available (assuming 128 "new" seats and 170 offers). In essence, wouldn't those be technically counted as waitlisters as well? Historically, between 91 and 95 offers are declined, am i wrong in assuming that only the top 45 or so actual waitlisted people have a real chance? Leaving about 100 people on the waitlist. Seems like a large number.

Any thoughts of why it's done this way? or why they won't reveal waitlist position?

There are also the people who defer because of LIM or another reason so I think thats an extra 18-20 spots?? so maybe about 70-80 people left?

I think thats its so waitlist people don't bombard them with asking for their position every week because that would be ALOT for the AdCOM to handle because things change so quickly with people accepting/declining offers to other schools :) 

5 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

148 seems like a TON of people holy. not knowing if you're near the top or bottom is very nerve-wracking. 

I think they expect some people on the waitlist to decline too because they probably got in else where so! I still think we have a good shot :) but yes the waiting without knowing where you are is hard!

13 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

haha @carepep you have a way of saying things that makes me feel more calm. Was feeling really pessimistic when I received the decision this afternoon. 

I am glad :) it will all be okay in the end! If there is one thing I've learned throughout this process is everything happens for a reason and just to keep positive when you can! I also have received messages from people who themselves got in off the waitlist or know people that did so hope is definitely not lost :) !! 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, powdermonkey13 said:

While Dr. P posted that they sent out 276 offers last year for 139 seats, AFMC says they had 135 seats and sent out 245 offers (including deferred and declined on the table). So maybe they end up sending out more offers than AFMC can capture? 

3 hours ago, hopingformd said:

While Dr. P posted that they sent out 276 offers last year for 139 seats, AFMC says they had 135 seats and sent out 245 offers (including deferred and declined on the table). So maybe they end up sending out more offers than AFMC can capture? 

I agree having that huge waitlist of 148 deflated my hopes a bit though since we don’t know our position. If you’re in the bottom third, seems like your odds are minuscule to none :( 

Im not sure why they send out offers to more than 130 people but maybe its because they expect many of the 170 people to decline/defer so they then have to dig deep into the actual waitlist? 

Hopefully now that all the med offers are out across Canada we will see some movement and know soon :)