Premed 101 Forums

2020 waitlist support thread

Looking back on it, I'm not sure the AFMC numbers are right. If they had to put out 279 offers last year for 139 spots, that would mean 140 spots were declined, right?? During a "slow" year for movement on the waitlist. So, using those numbers, it is likely to leave about 40 or so people on the list. 2 cycles ago about 10 IP were left on the list according to the reference stats provided by UofC.

Maybe more hope after all.

51 minutes ago, 93tilinfinity said:

Good luck and sending positive vibes to everyone on the waitlist :) I know this probably varies year to year- but does anybody know approximately which date we can expect to see the class fill up and waitlist movement stop?

I think the first batch comes out after May 25th and then its on a rolling basis into the middle of June! This is what happened last year at least :) 

I actually do know a couple people who got an acceptance a day or two before the class started In July as well in previous years. I think this makes sense based on in the email he said our applications remain open until the official class start date July 6th! 

Dr. P just posted today on the blog (see below). It seems like we have a lot more acceptances this year and way fewer declined? I feel my hopes are dashed... Like technically, if the patterns continue and 68% of the rest of the 58 unresponded applicants accept, then that'll leave about 15 spots only for the 148 waitlisted :(

Dear Applicants,

We are almost one week from the date when we sent out the initial offer letters. Here are the latest updates:

1. Summary of the numbers:
Offers sent out: 170
Waitlisted: 148
Accepted: 76
Accepted with deferral: 9
Declined: 27
Decisions pending: 58

9 minutes ago, Waitingishard said:

Dr. P just posted today on the blog (see below). It seems like we have a lot more acceptances this year and way fewer declined? I feel my hopes are dashed... Like technically, if the patterns continue and 68% of the rest of the 58 unresponded applicants accept, then that'll leave about 15 spots only for the 148 waitlisted :(

Dear Applicants,

We are almost one week from the date when we sent out the initial offer letters. Here are the latest updates:

I think the acceptance percent will definitely drop! It's probably been high so far because all those who wanted UC as a top choice or only got one offer ended up accepting right away. The rest are probably contemplating between multiple offers (this is the case for two of my friends who are OOP) or waiting to hear back from other schools which they prefer (although not sure if they will before the May 25th deadline??). Regardless, these people are much more likely to go elsewhere. 

Plus, keep in mind that the waitlist moves not just because people decline offers but also because some people withdraw their name from the waitlist! I know it is annoying because there less spots this year, but I also imagine there will be many more people than usual deferring due to COVID (in fact, another reason people may not have accepted is because they are in process of requesting deferrals which means more spots for people on the waitlist). Oh also, some people who have accepted offers may later decline them if they get into their preferred schools (a friend of mine got into another school about 10 days before classes started last year for UofC, and she ended up turning down her acceptance and just lose the deposit).

So yeah, lots of waitlist movement to come, don't lose hope!

4 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

I think the acceptance percent will definitely drop! It's probably been high so far because all those who wanted UC as a top choice or only got one offer ended up accepting right away. The rest are probably contemplating between multiple offers (this is the case for two of my friends who are OOP) or waiting to hear back from other schools which they prefer (although not sure if they will before the May 25th deadline??). Regardless, these people are much more likely to go elsewhere. 

Plus, keep in mind that the waitlist moves not just because people decline offers but also because some people withdraw their name from the waitlist! I know it is annoying because there less spots this year, but I also imagine there will be many more people than usual deferring due to COVID (in fact, another reason people may not have accepted is because they are in process of requesting deferrals which means more spots for people on the waitlist). Oh also, some people who have accepted offers may later decline them if they get into their preferred schools (a friend of mine got into another school about 10 days before classes started last year for UofC, and she ended up turning down her acceptance and just lose the deposit).

So yeah, lots of waitlist movement to come, don't lose hope!

Thanks so much for this! It's a ray of sunshine in how I've been feeling today since seeing Dr. P's post

On 5/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, Waitingishard said:

Dear Applicants,

I am waiting too and I know it's super hard but just like the other post said people take their names off the waitlist because they get into other schools (I knew about five people last year who had accepted U of C then got in elsewhere and just lost their deposit). I still think the waitlist will move quite a bit based on what I have heard from current students :) also they actually only have five less spots from last year (last year they had 135) so I think our chances are still relatively the same :) 

Hoping for the best for both of us :) 

To add on, I actually think our numbers are pretty good? Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think we should stay positive! 

I went pretty far back on the blog a few days ago when those numbers came out,  and 2018, they had 102 ppl who accepted and 80 pending 2 weeks after offers were sent. It's been pretty consistent that over 80 ppl will accept their offers a week out probably for the reasons zxcccxz mentioned (way back in 2014, they had 88 ppl who accepted by May 19th) so our odds don't actually feel too bad to me.

This is obviously just me speculating though. 

1 hour ago, hopingformd said:

This week should be the first round of offers!

Trying not to get my hopes up... but today still feels like May 11th all over again :mellow:

Yes! Dr. P posted confirming in one of the comments:

When the wait list makes its first big move, May 26th It will be mostly by email. As we get deeper into the wait list it usually comes by phone

I know.. I'm feeling the nerves too! Hopefully we'll get some good news (fingers crossed!). I've been trying to keep busy the last week and plug in with friends. Good luck everyone!! :)

5 hours ago, Waitingishard said:

Yes! Dr. P posted confirming in one of the comments:

When the wait list makes its first big move, May 26th It will be mostly by email. As we get deeper into the wait list it usually comes by phone

I know.. I'm feeling the nerves too! Hopefully we'll get some good news (fingers crossed!). I've been trying to keep busy the last week and plug in with friends. Good luck everyone!! :)

Ah same good luck to both of you :) sending all the positive vibes!