Premed 101 Forums

2020 Waitlist Thread

I have been pondering quite a bit when to somewhat give up and move on this year. I've been accepted to a PhD program and although the PI understands med is my first choice, i need to commit before september, both out of respect and practicality.  But there is the fear that once i commit to them, then i'll get an email with an offer the next day and then be too late.  Anyone else in this same or similar boat or has thoughts?

15 minutes ago, denden said:

I have been pondering quite a bit when to somewhat give up and move on this year. I've been accepted to a PhD program and although the PI understands med is my first choice, i need to commit before september, both out of respect and practicality.  But there is the fear that once i commit to them, then i'll get an email with an offer the next day and then be too late.  Anyone else in this same or similar boat or has thoughts?

Im in the exact same position, except I’ve been accepted to a master’s program. My timeline has been June 15th.  I looked at some previous waitlist threads and the last posts are made in mid june.  Hopefully we can hear some good news until then. 

59 minutes ago, acacna said:

^I had a friend in your scenarios. It came down to 2 options. Either quit the graduate program which could be still doable if you haven't started. Or defer admission to do grad studies first i.e do MD/PhD. 

U of A wouldn't let you defer for 4 years unfortunately, especially given it's at a different institution. Quitting is definitely the only option, however it feels quite unprofessional after a PI commits their efforts to you as well.  I think it's best as @starmay said and pick a cutoff date and go from there. as challenging as it may be 

I agree, it's definitely very disrespectful. However, I do believe that there are some very understanding supervisors who would be willing to push that cutoff date to late summer. My friend did that deferral at U of C. Just checked the U of A website and oddly they only take 2 MD/PhD students per year. The number is so much higher at U of C

What are those who don't have any masters/PhD plans thinking of doing before applying next year? And @denden that is a really tough situation. Do you have a good enough relationship with your PI that you could voice your concern to them and give them a little heads up that it is possible something like that could happen? 

1 hour ago, acacna said:

I agree, it's definitely very disrespectful. However, I do believe that there are some very understanding supervisors who would be willing to push that cutoff date to late summer. My friend did that deferral at U of C. Just checked the U of A website and oddly they only take 2 MD/PhD students per year. The number is so much higher at U of C

i think that speaks more to the leaders in medicine program U of C has. it's pretty much encourages grad students to apply and then defer until whenever they're done which is amazing

1 hour ago, albertaapplicant1 said:

What are those who don't have any masters/PhD plans thinking of doing before applying next year? And @denden that is a really tough situation. Do you have a good enough relationship with your PI that you could voice your concern to them and give them a little heads up that it is possible something like that could happen? 

Yeah i've kept the PI fully in the loop and they're super understanding. I guess it's more just me feeling bad to be leading them along and then bailing last minute. Also knowing i could start doing things in the lab (assuming it opens up) earlier on instead of waiting until september. 

13 minutes ago, denden said:

Yeah i've kept the PI fully in the loop and they're super understanding. I guess it's more just me feeling bad to be leading them along and then bailing last minute. Also knowing i could start doing things in the lab (assuming it opens up) earlier on instead of waiting until september. 

That is awesome that you have kept them in the loop - I am sure they really appreciate that. Though I have not been in your position, I totally understand that feeling of not wanting to go against your word/ a commitment you made to someone. Does anyone on this thread, or others, know of people who contemplated PhD vs. med and chose one over the other?

I know the odds are slim to none, but have you contacted someone in the admissions office about it? A phone call might be better so you can have a real conversation and maybe they would be able to sympathize a bit with your dilemma. I know you have probably thought about these suggestions so apologies if its just another comment telling you to do things you've already done! 

As a fellow waitlister, I really hope it works out for you because I know how stressful this wait is. I will talk to some friends and see if they know anything too! 

8 minutes ago, SoldSoulToMED said:

Admin said a bunch of offers were sent out yesterday and their deadline is Thursday so not expecting much offers until then. Sweet.  I guess the forum is just not very representative or there are way more people on the waitlist this time around than i even expected.  

definitely not representative, plus i think there is a huge number on the waitlist. Like U of C had 140 something. That's insane to me, but i imagine U of A's is similar 

37 minutes ago, acacna said:

Yea its definitely not a good representative. Not a single OOP waitlisted applicant posted here, and I'm sure there's quite a number of them too. 

Would they answer questions like what % of the class is full now? I'll try asking that when I call them 

Well here’s to hoping that the OOP applicants are lucky enough to get offers in their home province and that can open up some more spots for the IPs. 

Really odd that we haven’t had any posts of waitlisters receiving offers. The number of offers released each round could be really low already.

Hey!

I'm new and made an account just for this haha.

I was IP waitlisted. I recieved my acceptance offer on May 28th and had until June 1st to accept it (which I did being an Edmontonian). My waitlisted letter was 99-and a low number (below 50 low!!!), so don't lose hope if your stats don't coincide with any theories! My acceptance document was also created on May 28th. I know how stressful it is being on the waitlist, but don't lose hope. More offers are coming! I hope to see you all in the fall :)  

PS: Also, WHEN you all get accepted, make sure you have a passport photo (or professional photo) handy because they ask for it (to be your medical student ID photo etc.) as a step in accepting the offer. Just an FYI! 

28 minutes ago, SunnyMD said:

Hey!

I'm new and made an account just for this haha.

I was IP waitlisted. I recieved my acceptance offer on May 28th and had until June 1st to accept it (which I did being an Edmontonian). My waitlisted letter was 99-and a low number (below 50 low!!!), so don't lose hope if your stats don't coincide with any theories! My acceptance document was also created on May 28th. I know how stressful it is being on the waitlist, but don't lose hope. More offers are coming! I hope to see you all in the fall :)  

PS: Also, WHEN you all get accepted, make sure you have a passport photo (or professional photo) handy because they ask for it (to be your medical student ID photo etc.) as a step in accepting the offer. Just an FYI! 

Welcome to our virtual community and congratulations on your acceptance!!! :D