Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party 2020

7 minutes ago, JustSayian26 said:

Does anyone know or do you think that OOP applicants are placed higher (first?) on the waitlist compared to IP applicants? A lot of the people that decline their offers are OOP so rationally I would think that they would have a better chance. Also, this is probably because OOP applicants generally have a stronger application due to the higher cut offs. 

Also if you had to guess, how many people do you think are waitlisted?

I think people are just ranked according to final rankings and OOP just happen to be higher on the waitlist because of what you said (stronger application). I think roughly 60 to 80 people are on the waitlist.

9 hours ago, JustSayian26 said:

Does anyone know or do you think that OOP applicants are placed higher (first?) on the waitlist compared to IP applicants? A lot of the people that decline their offers are OOP so rationally I would think that they would have a better chance. Also, this is probably because OOP applicants generally have a stronger application due to the higher cut offs. 

Also if you had to guess, how many people do you think are waitlisted?

Hey, I think there is just 1 waitlist and OOP applicants aren't necessarily at the top of the list. Rather, like you said, they tend to be more competitive being an OOP applicant that they do find themselves generally higher up on that list. I would imagine that they are also more likely to decline the offer to stay closer to home. 

I remember being in this boat - good luck to everyone here! :)

8 minutes ago, ninjabro1995 said:

MAAAN WHO THE HECK KNOWS. I'M REALLY HOPING THE BEST FOR ALL OF US. To have made it this far means you will all make terrific doctors, and at this point, it is beyond our control. 

Agreed! We will never know. Its best to just relax and have confidence in yourself

Hey y'all long time lurker and stuck in the same boat of being waitlisted! Crossing my fingers for all of you. 

Does anyone know if UBC sends out more offers than seats? I saw from an old premed101 post that they do, and I know some other schools do that (i.e U of Calgary)

also..... what are the chances of an IP getting off this seemingly endless waitlist :( 

I remember being just as confused as all of you when I was waitlisted last year! I have really no insight into how UBC waitlists people (sorry!) but just hang in there! I got off the waitlist in the middle of June last year and it seemed like the longest wait ever. Good luck to everyone...you should feel extremely proud of yourselves! 

Does anyone know how the rural suitability scoring works and if there is a separate waitlist ranking? I.e. does the rural admissions subcommittee rank rural applicants holistically for suitability for the rural seats? Or just one waitlist that they go down, with either a yes/no beside each name, and if a seat that becomes available is one of the rural seats they check for the yes/no on the next person down the list? I’m also very curious if almost everyone applies to be considered for rural seats?