Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party 2020

7 minutes ago, aldywood said:

Does anyone know how the rural suitability scoring works and if there is a separate waitlist ranking? I.e. does the rural admissions subcommittee rank rural applicants holistically for suitability for the rural seats? Or just one waitlist that they go down, with either a yes/no beside each name, and if a seat that becomes available is one of the rural seats they check for the yes/no on the next person down the list? I’m also very curious if almost everyone applies to be considered for rural seats?

I am IP and applied to rural. Check out this link:https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2012/04/25/offers-process-overview/ from last years support thread, its got some info.

Hi all! 

I just wanted to reach out and wish you all good luck. You must all be fabulous candidates to get this far and it it so unfortunate that there aren't more spots. I was wait listed last year and it was a very frustrating and challenging time. I couldn't celebrate but I also couldn't feel too bad for myself as I was not rejected. I felt numb. Honestly, I really believe being wait listed is harder than being rejected. And being wait listed and then not having it work out was so upsetting. I did strongly consider the terrible impact being wait listed and reapplying had on my mental health and I had decided to apply only one more time.  I am so glad I pushed through and re-applied this year because it finally worked for me. 

You are awesome. You deserve this. Medicine isn't everything but if you really want it, keep trying. 

Make sure you get the support you need right now and if you want to chat feel free to message me. I have been in your shoes.

3 hours ago, aldywood said:

Does anyone know how the rural suitability scoring works and if there is a separate waitlist ranking? I.e. does the rural admissions subcommittee rank rural applicants holistically for suitability for the rural seats? Or just one waitlist that they go down, with either a yes/no beside each name, and if a seat that becomes available is one of the rural seats they check for the yes/no on the next person down the list? I’m also very curious if almost everyone applies to be considered for rural seats?

Many, many people do not apply to be considered for rural seats. A significant portion of every incoming class is very urban in background and has no interest in rural seats (rural family practice causes some people a lot of anxiety).