Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Waitlist 2020

Hi everyone! I thought I would a thread for those of us who were waitlisted this year to provide a sense of comfort, and to hopefully to keep track of any movement. I'm already finding this waiting game to be pretty anxiety-ridden and stressful, so we can use this as a place to vent and whatnot! Feel free to post if you are waitlisted (and/or you will be removing yourself from the waitlist), or if you are accepted and will be declining your offer. I noticed there hasn't been a ton of chatter this year, so I invite all casual lurkers to post here :)

FYI so far I have seen myself and one other (@Northernontariogirl) who are waitlisted, two more that have been admitted, but one may decline, and 6 users that were rejected. I am unsure about the status of a few other users that made posts about NOSM this cycle but did not post if they were accepted/rejected/waitlisted (5 people). 

How are we all feeling? 

Hey! ... Currently on the waitlist... This is my third year applying.  My two previous years, I failed to make the waitlist, so this is an improvement of sorts.
But, like everyone else, I have no idea where I'm positioned, nor do I know how deep into the waitlist NOSM typically goes (on average).  Any ideas?
Also, does anyone know if offers of admission will be given prior to May 26?  Could they occur next week (after the long weekend)?
Hope everyone is doing well (despite the wait) and keeping healthy!

P.S. - Be proud for making the waitlist.  I know it's tough and it may even feel like a defeat, but in reality, NOSM is telling you that you've made the team, but they can't promise that you'll see any ice time this year.  Perhaps, not the greatest of metaphors, but it's one way to view things without being artificially cheery.

31 minutes ago, Northernontariogirl said:

Anyone heard of any movement yet?

I've also heard nothing...I am thinking things are probably moving but I don't know of anyone who has said they got off the waitlist. Like @Danielle7 said though, I haven't seen posts from anyone other than the three of us! Lurkers - now's the time to post haha! These forums only really work if people post

59 minutes ago, mdhopeful26 said:

I've also heard nothing...I am thinking things are probably moving but I don't know of anyone who has said they got off the waitlist. Like @Danielle7 said though, I haven't seen posts from anyone other than the three of us! Lurkers - now's the time to post haha! These forums only really work if people post

Since you asked so nicely :) no, I have not heard anything either... the wait continues. 

1 hour ago, RuralMed19 said:

I have not heard of any movement yet this year, students have until May 26 to accept so maybe they wait till then. Last year ~20 students made it off the waitlist so lets be hopeful!

Wow that is more than I thought. I was anticipating ~12! Thanks for sharing, that is nice to hear. 

Hi guys!

Also on the waitlist, but I haven’t heard of any movement yet either. However, I do know someone who has received an initial offer and has accepted it, but that’s just one person, still lots of potential spots left for us! At this point I’m just waiting for the 26th to see what kind of update we’ll get.

Well guys! Another week down and I haven't heard anything. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I am going to try to spend some time outdoors to stay sane. I'm looking forward to the update email after Tuesday. I think some applicants may make their decision this weekend with it being close to the deadline. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

Hi everyone! 

I thought I would make an account because I have been accepted off of the waitlist today and have been lurking on this forum for a while now. This has been a surreal day for me because this is the fourth time (in five years) I have applied after being rejected 3x post-interviews. I am a non-traditional applicant from the Ottawa area, and thought I would share some stats for those who are also non-traditional:

cGPA: 3.9 graduated in 2015

Context score: Grew up in a small town just outside of Ottawa, attended uOttawa for undergrad. Never lived in Northern Ontario.

ECs: RN for five years, worked in quality improvement for 3 years, multiple volunteer activities (QI groups, nursing committees, developed and taught sexual health and TB workshops geared towards rural Inuit populations, back-to-work workshops for indigenous populations, assisted with multiple research projects but no pubs, Best Buddies, french classes, Non for profit dance camps, Homeless shelters + multiple others) 

I know this sounds super cliche, but as someone who has almost given up more than once, all of the struggle (and tears) was all worth it! GOOD LUCK TO ALL <3 

37 minutes ago, RNtoMD93 said:

Hi everyone! 

I thought I would make an account because I have been accepted off of the waitlist today and have been lurking on this forum for a while now. This has been a surreal day for me because this is the fourth time (in five years) I have applied after being rejected 3x post-interviews. I am a non-traditional applicant from the Ottawa area, and thought I would share some stats for those who are also non-traditional:

Context score: Grew up in a small town just outside of Ottawa, attended uOttawa for undergrad. Never lived in Northern Ontario.

ECs: RN for five years, worked in quality improvement for 3 years, multiple volunteer activities (QI groups, nursing committees, developed and taught sexual health and TB workshops geared towards rural Inuit populations, back-to-work workshops for indigenous populations, assisted with multiple research projects but no pubs, Best Buddies, french classes, Non for profit dance camps, Homeless shelters + multiple others) 

I know this sounds super cliche, but as someone who has almost given up more than once, all of the struggle (and tears) was all worth it! GOOD LUCK TO ALL <3 

Thank you for making an account and posting! Also huge congratulations! That is amazing and shows such perseverance! Are you headed to the East or West campus? I am also a non-traditional applicant, so this is good news for sure :) 

1 hour ago, RNtoMD93 said:

Hi everyone! 

woohoo!!!! :)

27 minutes ago, mdhopeful26 said:

Thank you for making an account and posting! Also huge congratulations! That is amazing and shows such perseverance! Are you headed to the East or West campus? I am also a non-traditional applicant, so this is good news for sure :) 

I will be attending Thunder Bay. I was told when I called today that the list of applicants who want to attend Sudbury campus (my preference) is at least 6-8 people long a.k.a. not to get my hopes up of being able to switch campuses. I was also made aware that there are about 8 applicants that still have to decide on their offers! BEST OF LUCK!

1 hour ago, acr1316 said:

Well... I don’t know about you guys but my hopes of getting in are pretty much non-existent after receiving that update. Time to figure out what to do next year now!

Agreed, I was hoping to see less confirmed learners for sure. Feeling pretty hopeless right now, that's for sure. Do you think you will be applying again for next cycle?

2 hours ago, NOSM24 said:

Hi guys! 
I’ve been a lurker for a while now, I Wanted to post a few times but my account kept messing up! Anyways, today is the big day of the update email but it’s not seeming to come! 
Good luck to all of us!!!

Thanks for joining us! I don't think any of us really expected the email to be what it was today :(...