Premed 101 Forums

BLS Acceptance Requirements

Hey, I am a first medical student at uOttawa. Because of COVID, none of the current medical students were able to get their BLS renewed as well as their Tuberculin Skin Test and Police Vulnerable Sector Screening. The deadline to meet these requirements is now to be determined as you can see on the faculty website. Don't worry about that, we are all in the same boat!

To be
determined

Basic Life Support (BLS) Renewal (day/month/year of training)
(Must be completed through the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada)

Tuberculin Skin Test (1 step) OR if you previously tested positive, complete the: Tuberculosis Signs and Symptoms Self-Declaration form

Police Vulnerable Sector Screening (original document with embossed seal or electronic document forwarded from police service)
*(May take 8 to 12 weeks to obtain)
Check obtained after Feb 28, 2020
 ONLY

https://orm.uottawa.ca/clinical-placement/deadlines#medecine

3 hours ago, Bleuet said:

Hey, I am a first medical student at uOttawa. Because of COVID, none of the current medical students were able to get their BLS renewed as well as their Tuberculin Skin Test and Police Vulnerable Sector Screening. The deadline to meet these requirements is now to be determined as you can see on the faculty website. Don't worry about that, we are all in the same boat!

To be
determined

Basic Life Support (BLS) Renewal (day/month/year of training)
(Must be completed through the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada)

Tuberculin Skin Test (1 step) OR if you previously tested positive, complete the: Tuberculosis Signs and Symptoms Self-Declaration form

Police Vulnerable Sector Screening (original document with embossed seal or electronic document forwarded from police service)
*(May take 8 to 12 weeks to obtain)
Check obtained after Feb 28, 2020
 ONLY

https://orm.uottawa.ca/clinical-placement/deadlines#medecine

Thanks for the response glad to hear we’re on the same boat. Isn’t that TBD in reference to the BLS renewal though. It seems like the deadline stands for the full course for the first time we have to do it. 

You should email the admissions officers. They will let you know what the expectations are, and they’re generally very reasonable in my experience (I’m a 4th year med student). Also you should still be able to get your police check since those can be done either online or by mail generally depending on where you live. Also if you have a family doc, they should see you to do a TB test if you tell them it’s for medical school. 

I agree with the message above, you should contact the admission office and they might decide to send more information to everyone to avoid confusion. The vulnerable section check is easy enough to get, but on my end, my family clinic doesn't want to do a TB test for now as it's considered none essential and the deadline is extended at least for our year. But if you mention that it's relating to your admission, I'm sure they will accommodate you :)

For the BLS, here's a copy paste of the message the Heart and Stroke Foundation gave to the public

"Heart & Stroke strongly recommends that all training be temporarily suspended.  Having said that, there are some essential training needs across Ontario to upskill front line workers during the current Covid-19 healthcare situation.  Our courses support several health care authorities/regulatory bodies and several healthcare institutions.  It will be up to these authorities and institutions to deem whether current BLS credentials are required at this time for staff or professionals and determine if training or retraining is considered essential.

For BLS solutions, we do not have an online only certification offering.  The closest thing would be our Blended BLS, which combines an online learning module with in-class portion.  There is nothing online only.

We are building a virtual classroom training module, but again this is only a partial solution for the cognitive course materials, and an in-class component will still be required for skills practice/testing and overall certification.

The BLS Blended program is available now, released in 2018.  The new virtual in-class offering should be available to our instructors within a week.  However, each of these does require the in-class piece to get the certificate.

If no one is being asked for certifications right now by either the employer, health authority (CPSO for example) or health institution, I recommend postponing training until it is safer.  Otherwise, you will need a blended learning or full in-class solution for certification."

Don't hesitate if you have more questions :)

39 minutes ago, dopamineislife said:

I emailed admissions about this too. Just a question (might sound stupid), but we are registering for "BLS-Provider", right?

Can you post here when they reply? Thank you:) 

And yes, that's what I think. 

1 minute ago, WishingforMD said:

Can you post here when they reply? Thank you:) 

And yes, that's what I think. 

I didn't receive a reply yet, but another accepted applicant did. According to them, Chantal stated they are aware of the situation and may have to adjust timelines. They are discussing it internally. I don't think I will sign up for a class just yet..

42 minutes ago, dopamineislife said:

I didn't receive a reply yet, but another accepted applicant did. According to them, Chantal stated they are aware of the situation and may have to adjust timelines. They are discussing it internally. I don't think I will sign up for a class just yet..

Ah ok, thanks!