Premed 101 Forums

Clothes for medical school?

You don't really need business-casual clothes except for observerships and clinical skills (~1 per week) so don't worry about having to revamp your entire wardrobe. For class people dress pretty casually - and plus with COVID a lot of your initial large group lectures are probably going to be online.

Some places that come to mind are H&M, Dynamite, Zara, Hudson's Bay, Banana Republic. There are also some great lululemon pants that are SO comfortable but can also be worn in clinical skills which is a blessing.

39 minutes ago, bumbleb33 said:

You don't really need business-casual clothes except for observerships and clinical skills (~1 per week) so don't worry about having to revamp your entire wardrobe. For class people dress pretty casually - and plus with COVID a lot of your initial large group lectures are probably going to be online.

Some places that come to mind are H&M, Dynamite, Zara, Hudson's Bay, Banana Republic. There are also some great lululemon pants that are SO comfortable but can also be worn in clinical skills which is a blessing.

yup - the majority of the preclerkship classes look just like any other university course really. 

1 hour ago, bumbleb33 said:

I highly agree with this! 

For lectures and most small group stuff (that does not have a tutor/preceptor and is not clinical skills or in front of patients/volunteer patients) I've been in normal casual clothes. I literally live in leggings and athleisure.

For more business casual outfits, my favorite dress shirts are the $20 ones from H&M, with the tapered waist. Otherwise I typically pair a cheap cardigan with some ok looking tank/blouse you can get at Dynamite and related stores. If you have the money to spend, my fiance loves Lululemon's Commission pants, and my favorites are the On the Fly pants (more casual), and the On the move (?) trousers. There was also another older version that looked even more professional than those two but I think it got discontinued from Lulu's line and kept on Kit and Ace's line. Kit and Ace is a good investment if you find good sales. I wouldn't spend the money on either brand at full price though! Its definitely not necessary. 

You need 2 outfits, tops! You can always start building up the clothing collection over time, but don't spend too much money, and dont sacrifice comfort for looks.