Premed 101 Forums

9 minutes ago, CoffeeandMedicine said:

I know a couple of IP applicants who got in off the wait list in mid-June in the past couple of years but I also don't have a clear picture. Regardless, I'm sure we won't see much, if any, movement until after the deadline to accept for the first round of offers. Such an emotional rollercoaster

Yes, very true! ....If only we could see the number of members the fb group has already haha! 

2 hours ago, burner12345 said:

They said there are 102 people placed on the IP waitlist this year. Is that normal? I'm wondering why they decided to pick such a higher number. 

That's such a high number and it seems unnecessarily cruel. According to the AFMC data they gave 104 IP  offers in 2018/19, 88 IP offers for 2017/18 and 96 IP offers in 2016/17. If they really did wait list that many people, then what they're doing now is quite disappointing.

7 minutes ago, zoxy said:

That's such a high number and it seems unnecessarily cruel. According to the AFMC data they gave 104 IP  offers in 2018/19, 88 IP offers for 2017/18 and 96 IP offers in 2016/17. If they really did wait list that many people, then what they're doing now is quite disappointing.

From what I can tell, everyone that was not given a direct offer of admission was added to the In Province wait list. In previous years, I believe the wait list for IP applicants was 45 people (top 3rd, middle 3rd and bottom 3rd). Top and middle 3rd have the best chance of admission, whereas bottom third usually does not move. Cannot understand the decision to give someone a 4th quartile IP wait list spot instead of a rejection, seeing as over 75 people would have to reject their offers to be admissible...

7 minutes ago, tallshirts said:

Considering the class size is 100 (5 seats are reserved for out of province), that does seem like a high number. Where did you see the number of offers given in previous years? 

I did some calculations combining the information from AFMC and USask admission statistics.

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf

1 hour ago, zoxy said:

I think it’s understandable that you are not in the highest spirits, but there’s some fairly emotionally charged responses coming from you that are regrettable. 

The mandate of the CoM is to graduate physicians that are suitable and needed by the province. As such, 100(ish) students graduate every year and, relatedly, some 120 residency positions are filled. Medicine is a very competitive program attractive highly qualified applicants and, therefore, it is important that every available seat is filled for the good of the program and for the mandate to be fulfilled. 

As such, being accepted is a privilege. Being on the wait list is also a privilege. It is understandable to be emotionally charged when rejected or waitlisted as you have undoubtedly put a lot of effort into pursuing this profession. That said, the waitlist exists to fulfill the needs of the college and the provincial mandate - not the hopes of prospective students. 

I’m sorry for the tough love. Hope you hear good news soon. 

-CurrentMed

51 minutes ago, PR-qrs-ST said:

I think it’s understandable that you are not in the highest spirits, but there’s some fairly emotionally charged responses coming from you that are regrettable. 

The mandate of the CoM is to graduate physicians that are suitable and needed by the province. As such, 100(ish) students graduate every year and, relatedly, some 120 residency positions are filled. Medicine is a very competitive program attractive highly qualified applicants and, therefore, it is important that every available seat is filled for the good of the program and for the mandate to be fulfilled. 

As such, being accepted is a privilege. Being on the wait list is also a privilege. It is understandable to be emotionally charged when rejected or waitlisted as you have undoubtedly put a lot of effort into pursuing this profession. That said, the waitlist exists to fulfill the needs of the college and the provincial mandate - not the hopes of prospective students. 

I’m sorry for the tough love. Hope you hear good news soon. 

-CurrentMed

I'm not griping about being wait listed and I fully understand that it's a privilege and not a right. In fact USask has  clear admissions criteria, isn't a blackbox like Queens, UBC, and Alberta to name a few, and didn't cancel interviews like Mac who just used a lottery for admissions so I applaud the Usask admissions team for that.

I'm just stating the fact that I don't understand why they would waitlist so many IP people when, according to the AFMC data, most IP students accept their offers. Btw, I'm OOP as I said above so their wait listing of 102 IP students(assuming the person who stated this number is being accurate)  has exactly zero impact on me.