Premed 101 Forums

McGill vs U of T for med?

without regard to finances. Which is better? I don't speak French. But am willing to learn during my time there. Is Quebec easier for competitive specialties? I've heard many go unfilled? But I assume those are mostly French  and I don't know if my French would be good enough to be selected for those. 

St. George btw

Yes, Toronto has more hospitals, but it is also more competitive to get opportunities. When it comes to doing electives and residency, all of Ontario students (and the country) will have their eyes on Toronto, which may not work in your favour and may make it harder for you to stand out. For competitive specialties, this will suck because you may not benefit from the home-school advantage as much as  you would benefit from the home-school advantage at McGill.  So in a sense, one could also argue that it would be easier to network at McGill when compared to Toronto.

Also, I'm not sure about the following (so someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but if you go to McGill, it may be easier to stand out among your school when applying to residency since almost half of your class would be coming from CEGEP. i.e. you'll have more experience, stronger research background and more maturity.