Premed 101 Forums

Parking Situation?

Hey friends!

What is the parking situation like at the U of A? Would it be more beneficial to get a parking pass or should I rely on the LRT? I'm trying to find housing and deciding between parking and the LRT will influence what neighbourhoods I'm considering. 

Are there instances where you are on campus late and the LRT becomes less reliable (because of less frequent trains)? 

Lots of questions, but any advice or comments would be super helpful. Thanks so much :)

21 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

Hey friends!

What is the parking situation like at the U of A? Would it be more beneficial to get a parking pass or should I rely on the LRT? I'm trying to find housing and deciding between parking and the LRT will influence what neighbourhoods I'm considering. 

Are there instances where you are on campus late and the LRT becomes less reliable (because of less frequent trains)? 

Lots of questions, but any advice or comments would be super helpful. Thanks so much :)

I had a parking pass throughout the last few years of my undergrad and loved it, but they can be expensive. The one I had in Windsor carpark was $140/month, and if I'm remembering right a pass in Jubilee (right by ECHA) was around $110/month. If you see yourself coming and going from campus a lot, maybe with kids or far-away extracurriculars, it would make sense to get a pass IMO.

From what I know of the LRT system, it's reliable and they run pretty late (around 1 AM). They do start getting spaced out more as you get later in the night, but when I used it I never really had a problem. That being said, I haven't used the LRT all that often in the past few years. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with it can answer that half of the question. Hope this helps!

I wouldn't park, too expensive! Classes are over by 5 at the latest, but many students stay in the evenings to study or do clubs things, sports, gym, evening mixers, etc.  Unless you're planning on staying on campus after 1 am (which theoretically  you could as med students have 24 hr access to katz (the med building)) then LRT works fine. The health sciences LRT station also literally attaches to the med buildings so its super convenient. Alot of the LRT stations have residential areas nearby as well. good luck on your hunt :) 

Parking is quite expensive, its about 110+/month, depending on the lot. Also, it can be difficult to get the lot of your choice because as soon as the system opens (in July I believe) its first come first serve. I personally drive because the commute for me is over 2 hours a day since I live quite north, but in general the LRT is super convenient and runs regularly! I would recommend LRTing. Also it feels a bit safer in the winter because the roads can get quite bad sometimes. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, Stars2020 said:

What is the nearest parking lot to classes? Not familiar with the area.

How is parking at the LRT stations in Edmonton? Is there park and ride options?

I think the Jubilee would be the closest lot, but not positive. 
basically no park and ride - a major failing in the planning. There are technically a couple of lots, but they fill up very early and I think you may need to buy a pass  

remember that students get a upass - cost is part of tuition - so transit is free.  If you are looking for housing, I would try to get something either within walking distance or a quick bus to the LRT. I don’t know the bus system very well, but there are a lot of buses that go to either the main campus or south campus, which has an LRT station

On 6/17/2021 at 7:54 PM, PleasePleasePlease said:

I think the Jubilee would be the closest lot, but not positive. 
basically no park and ride - a major failing in the planning. There are technically a couple of lots, but they fill up very early and I think you may need to buy a pass  

remember that students get a upass - cost is part of tuition - so transit is free.  If you are looking for housing, I would try to get something either within walking distance or a quick bus to the LRT. I don’t know the bus system very well, but there are a lot of buses that go to either the main campus or south campus, which has an LRT station

Thank you for letting me know!