Premed 101 Forums

2 hours ago, inkbat said:

i don't think i'll be coming off my other waitlists before the deadline to accept my mac offer and the negativity on this site about mac med is really getting me down. i should be excited to be going to med school but i feel so sick and sad. 

It probably would still be better to wait until the last day to decide so that you have all your options. 

Despite the unfortunate press McMaster has received this past month, that doesn't diminish the fact that it is still one of the BEST medical schools this country has to offer! They have an amazing 3 year program and spearheaded the MMI and CASPer (tests which are now used across North America). I wasn't even accepted to Mac (placed on the waitlist sadly) but I know if I were, I would heavily consider the offer. I have a few Mac med friends who really enjoyed their time at Mac, you should be SO proud of getting an offer! It's an amazing accomplishment! If it's any consolation, once the world is no longer in a global crisis, I'm sure this negative press will die down! 

Also I echo what @William Osler mentioned above, I would check out some Facebook pages, maybe even message some med students on there! I'm sure they'd be happy to share why they love their school! 

According to my brother though, since the Facebook group is run by admissions (which is why students tend to create their own chat), people will not be brutally honest with you since half are showboating and the other half are just saying positive things because they are afraid to say negative things on a public page that admin could see. Try to speak to people you trust.

2 hours ago, Anon_9 said:

Despite the unfortunate press McMaster has received this past month, that doesn't diminish the fact that it is still one of the BEST medical schools this country has to offer! They have an amazing 3 year program and spearheaded the MMI and CASPer (tests which are now used across North America). I wasn't even accepted to Mac (placed on the waitlist sadly) but I know if I were, I would heavily consider the offer. I have a few Mac med friends who really enjoyed their time at Mac, you should be SO proud of getting an offer! It's an amazing accomplishment! If it's any consolation, once the world is no longer in a global crisis, I'm sure this negative press will die down! 

Also I echo what @William Osler mentioned above, I would check out some Facebook pages, maybe even message some med students on there! I'm sure they'd be happy to share why they love their school! 

thank you for this :) 

(i wanted to react to your post but i have no reactions left haha)

26 minutes ago, Peanuts29 said:

According to my brother though, since the Facebook group is run by admissions (which is why students tend to create their own chat), people will not be brutally honest with you since half are showboating and the other half are just saying positive things because they are afraid to say negative things on a public page that admin could see. Try to speak to people you trust.

The facebook group is run entirely by students! At this stage of medical training, admission admin have nothing to do with clinical training (and probably have better things to do than monitor the group) so I'm not sure what the incentive would be for students to lie. If you signed up for an MD buddy they should be able to provide you with a more private exchange as well :) 

It has been said on other posts, and I personally go to UBC so my insight may not be valued, but COVID will be affecting all schools. I recognize there is some concern regarding Mac/Calgary specifically given they are three year programs but your first year is primarily lecture based regardless. By the time you can enter clinical space, there will likely be guidelines set in place so that you can do so, but at a mitigated risk. Honestly, while I know its devastating to have your first year of medical school affected in such a way, COVID is impacting the upper years more as they have not been able to finish their training, elective time slots have been pushed back, and CARMs will now be in February online. First year students, while you will have some changes, will still be able to learn online. Most people choose to skip in person lectures anyway (I know it is nicer when it is a choice and not forced on you, but I am just trying to say that by the end of first year you will not be behind). I know people who have gone to Mac, and they loved the flexibility of their schedule, they had amazing one on one time with preceptors (which cant be said for bigger schools/hospitals), got good exposure to all rotations, and have all matched to what they wanted. As other people have said, having the lottery will not affect you at all. COVID may a bit, but it will affect everyone, and I truly don't think it will make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. 

I've posted in other places and been getting told "I'm not being objective" or "I'm distorting the true Mac experience." As a c2022 who choose to go to Mac, I think it is the best decision I have ever made. The flexibility is unparalleled, the environment and peers are so friendly, and the stress-free nature of it has been extremely beneficial to my mental health. 

To all students coming to Mac med, you have the opportunity to create an experience that fits your needs, participate in things you enjoy, avoid things that you don't. You will find people who are like-minded, kind and enthusiastic future doctors who will help you get through this time together. 

Medical school isn't supposed to be easy - but somehow McMaster makes it so and these last 9 months have flown by. 

I'm not trying to comment on how Covid-19 will affect your experience, I am sharing my time (both in person and online) has been overwhelmingly positive, and I am happy to answer anyone's questions about fears/concerns/rumours that they may have coming to McMaster. 

1. It is still a 3 year school, so lots of potential savings there

2. Hamilton isn't too bad, some like it, some don't, but it sits in the middle for most things 

3. COVID-19 may not be as bad as we think and maybe some things will change for the better

4. You can still do an enrichment year, or do a MD/MSc if you would like more time and to make it a 4 year degree

5. You got into medical school in Canada which is what you really should focus on. In hindsight, no one is going to remember all the things people are worrying about right now. 

23 hours ago, MDubc2021 said:

It has been said on other posts, and I personally go to UBC so my insight may not be valued, but COVID will be affecting all schools. I recognize there is some concern regarding Mac/Calgary specifically given they are three year programs but your first year is primarily lecture based regardless. By the time you can enter clinical space, there will likely be guidelines set in place so that you can do so, but at a mitigated risk. Honestly, while I know its devastating to have your first year of medical school affected in such a way, COVID is impacting the upper years more as they have not been able to finish their training, elective time slots have been pushed back, and CARMs will now be in February online. First year students, while you will have some changes, will still be able to learn online. Most people choose to skip in person lectures anyway (I know it is nicer when it is a choice and not forced on you, but I am just trying to say that by the end of first year you will not be behind). I know people who have gone to Mac, and they loved the flexibility of their schedule, they had amazing one on one time with preceptors (which cant be said for bigger schools/hospitals), got good exposure to all rotations, and have all matched to what they wanted. As other people have said, having the lottery will not affect you at all. COVID may a bit, but it will affect everyone, and I truly don't think it will make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. 

Those waste of time lectures became mandatory starting with the lower years this year and will continue with the incoming class. The flexibility of Mac is very much not what it used to be and is far from the past. 

Nobody cares about the curriculum it is going to be online for every school in the first year anyways. 

People will have difficulty deciding specialties since McMaster is much faster pace than other schools with crucial decisions earlier on. Now they have to make those career decisions without ever even entering hospitals probably within their first year when they have to decide at McMaster specifically.

If not for COVID, McMaster is a great school despite the whole lottery ordeal but down the line effects are very hard to predict.   

I'm in the class of 2021 and never once regretted my choice to go to Mac. 
I like that I don't have to memorize bullshit just to write an exam. For instance, I've heard some other medical schools will force you to memorize pathology slides for an exam, Mac doesn't. 
Whats the use of that anyway if you're not gonna be a pathologist? 
I also like how the exams are all mostly low stakes. I've never crammed once in medical school. I focus all my energy on learning and how to improve my skills and knowledge.
Even with covid, my electives, clinical rotations, and carms pushed back, and having to cancel my wedding date, i'm not really stressed.  It's not the first time in my life where shit happens. It is what it is. 
The admin has been communicating often and I can see them really trying their best to help us complete our clerkship and succeed. 
I've also received cv and scholarship letter help from people in career affairs. They're pretty awesome and invested to help you match to your preferred residency.
 Currently, i'm doing an online clerkship curriculum. To be honest, it's not bad and it's a nice change of pace. I get to spend more time at home, chill with my pets and family, and work on my hobbies. I also have time to volunteer and do covid 19 case management and research.  Work life balance is 100% at the moment. I'll surely miss this when we return to clinical duties on Jul 6.
I guess to make my post more objective, initially adjusting to Mac was hard (first 1-2 months). You gotta figure things out yourself especially with pbl and self-directed learning. Probably even cried a few times. But once you get it down, it's fucking awesome. Time flies too. I can't believe I just got 1 more year of school left. It's been a fun and interesting two years for sure.
At the end of the day, any med school you go to in Canada will make you into a fine doctor. and Mac is a fucking awesome school. 
Stay positive. Things will be okay and everything will eventually work out in the end. 

Cheers.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:37 PM, inkbat said:

the group description says

*Disclaimer: This is the unofficial group for the McMaster Medicine Class of 2023.
This group is no way officially associated, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with McMaster University.*

i'm sure that not everyone in the group is being 100% honest, but that is a bold assumption of you to make lmao

lmao that is a lie because with McMaster offers, the facebook link is sent out, but don't worry because I'm sure admissions is not involved in it at all

31 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

It's run by students, but the program is definitely aware of it, and even if they weren't monitoring it if you do something stupid in there, they will find out about it.

which is pretty much like every other school....and they are all unofficial of course but also of course if you did something nuts you could get into trouble......I mean is no different than anything else either ha. Welcome to medicine :)

On 5/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, inkbat said:

the group description says

*Disclaimer: This is the unofficial group for the McMaster Medicine Class of 2023.
This group is no way officially associated, endorsed, or otherwise affiliated with McMaster University.*

i'm sure that not everyone in the group is being 100% honest, but that is a bold assumption of you to make lmao

Not bold at all, I don't necessarily agree with the showboating part but, it's very true that people won't post anything negative there. All schools have there disadvantages and the facebook group welcoming the incoming class isn't really the place to vent about the negatives. It's similar to if you had been able to attend in person interviews, current students only tell you about the good parts of the program and any negative parts would usually be extremely toned down.

That said McMaster is an amazing school. If you really wanted to, you could find a list of negatives about any school on PM101 if you search for it.

• hijkl changed the title to .