Premed 101 Forums

Police vulnerable record check

On the Office of Risk Management site it states the CPRM team will provide a letter to give to the local police department for the sector check. I am assuming this was when the police checks were done in-person. My city is now doing them online. I emailed CPRM whether I still need the letter to give the police dept. Anyone in a similar situation and receive a reply from CPRM? Thank you.  

13 minutes ago, dopamineislife said:

On the Office of Risk Management site it states the CPRM team will provide a letter to give to the local police department for the sector check. I am assuming this was when the police checks were done in-person. My city is now doing them online. I emailed CPRM whether I still need the letter to give the police dept. Anyone in a similar situation and receive a reply from CPRM? Thank you.  

I think it's specific to which police departments? I tried looking at Toronto and they require an "agency" letter and no online option. But London has an online option and doesn't require any letter (I might be going with that). So I don't think it matters much as long as you're able to get it done and forwarded to the school. 

3 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I think it's specific to which police departments? I tried looking at Toronto and they require an "agency" letter and no online option. But London has an online option and doesn't require any letter (I might be going with that). So I don't think it matters much as long as you're able to get it done and forwarded to the school. 

You might need to do it at the city where you have proof of residence with government issued ID. Also, London does require a letter:

The University's CPRM team will need to provide you with a letter to give to the London Police Service. Please request the letter from CPRM@uOttawa.ca. Be sure to provide your full name, including any middle names or initials, your program of study, your student number and your date of birth.

24 minutes ago, dopamineislife said:

You might need to do it at the city where you have proof of residence with government issued ID. Also, London does require a letter:

The University's CPRM team will need to provide you with a letter to give to the London Police Service. Please request the letter from CPRM@uOttawa.ca. Be sure to provide your full name, including any middle names or initials, your program of study, your student number and your date of birth.

Ooooh thanks for that! I actually don't have a gov ID with address yet (new Canadian here) but most of my bills are sent to my parents place in London. It's weird that the London website doesn't state the need for a letter explicitly. I'll email them and ask too but do let us know in case you hear back first. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but in first year on any placements, what would be the correct description for "Details regarding the responsibilities toward children or vulnerable person(s)"?  I was thinking of putting something about being a learner in a healthcare setting?

19 minutes ago, deedee908 said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but in first year on any placements, what would be the correct description for "Details regarding the responsibilities toward children or vulnerable person(s)"?  I was thinking of putting something about being a learner in a healthcare setting?

I wrote something along the lines of "will be interacting with vulnerable persons through a non-paid clinical placement with the MD program at the University of Ottawa". Just copied from the letter sent by cprm. 

4 hours ago, dopamineislife said:

I wrote something along the lines of "will be interacting with vulnerable persons through a non-paid clinical placement with the MD program at the University of Ottawa". Just copied from the letter sent by cprm. 

Ah okay perfect thank you! Did you have to request the letter? Just want to make sure I didn't miss receiving anything!

11 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

Anyone doing it online in London? I submitted my application online and they provided space to write reason for applying, and it went through just fine. Just unsure if I still need to send in the letter :confused:

I sent an email asking if I need to send in the letter. My region didn't have any instructions on the cprm website so I didn't request the letter. I'll let you know when I hear back!

2 minutes ago, MD_endgame said:

I sent an email asking if I need to send in the letter. My region didn't have any instructions on the cprm website so I didn't request the letter. I'll let you know when I hear back!

Thanks! Yeah I just sent them an e-mail too. Already paid for the online application anyway lol

22 minutes ago, med97 said:

Hey,

How are people in GTA going about this as we don't have online application. Thank you!

I actually inquired about Toronto before deciding on London since I have proof of residence in both places. For Toronto you need to print off the request letter on legal-sized paper, then submit that with a money order or certified cheque for $20 (application fee) to the police department. 

12 hours ago, med97 said:

Hey,

How are people in GTA going about this as we don't have online application. Thank you!

Exactly what DrOtter said! You can also email Rema from CRPM and she will mail you the request form if you don't have legal sized paper (I didn't haha). Another option is to send it to your local Staples to print on legal sized paper. It was only about 90 cents with tax. Once you fill out the form and attached the 20 dollar money order, you mail it the police department downtown (40 College St). I hope that helps. 

Just now, deedee908 said:

I am wondering about mailing the completed police check--will anyone be there to receive it in person? Should we also be sending in a scan for the interim or anything like that?

I believe we have to send it in with the envelope intact and embossed. So I guess there must be people there to periodically check it? 

1 hour ago, DrOtter said:

I believe we have to send it in with the envelope intact and embossed. So I guess there must be people there to periodically check it? 

I always open it and scan it first and then mail it by express post (I have submitted about 5 police checks to uOttawa for each year of med school and residency). This is in case it gets lost in the mail, you would not be penalized for missing the deadline. Also if you are asked for a police check by another organization that accepts a scanned version, its useful to have your own copy. 

13 hours ago, m_jacob_45 said:

I always open it and scan it first and then mail it by express post (I have submitted about 5 police checks to uOttawa for each year of med school and residency). This is in case it gets lost in the mail, you would not be penalized for missing the deadline. Also if you are asked for a police check by another organization that accepts a scanned version, its useful to have your own copy. 

Do they email you when the check has been received, or only if its outstanding?