Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine Residency/Attending Lifestyle

Can anyone give information about internal medicine? 

I'm torn between internal medicine and family medicine and unsure which one I would like. I am partially concerned about the internal medicine lifestyle during residency and potentially after (specialty dependent I know).

I have heard the residency is brutal and it has been intimidating me from choosing it. Ideally I want to have a life at home with a family but some internists seem to always be working and even as attendings at time which makes me think that is the norm I would be expected to do.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me? Thanks!

17 hours ago, crossfit94 said:

Can anyone give information about internal medicine? 

I'm torn between internal medicine and family medicine and unsure which one I would like. I am partially concerned about the internal medicine lifestyle during residency and potentially after (specialty dependent I know).

I have heard the residency is brutal and it has been intimidating me from choosing it. Ideally I want to have a life at home with a family but some internists seem to always be working and even as attendings at time which makes me think that is the norm I would be expected to do.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me? Thanks!

You should see my post here:

Hope this helps