Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2024 Online v In-Person

Hey! I'm an oweek coordinator so might be able to contribute a bit. Schulich wants us to get back to class in person ASAP, so they're trying to secure PPE and other necessary materials and work out the details. First priority will be those parts of the curriculum that can't be delivered online very well. As soon as we can get back to in-person we will be!!!! 

Oweek is looking at several options. Of course we want to be in person as much as you guys do but this might look like smaller group interactions instead of the typical 171 of us doing everything together. We're doing everything we can to make sure you guys get the experience and get to know each other just like we did, including the possibility of further integration when more restrictions are lifted! 

honestly when it comes down to it it'll be the government and western deciding what the rules are and Schulich and Oweek will all have to work around that. We're going to be keeping you guys as up to date as possible throughout the summer on fb to hopefully alleviate some of the anxiety. 

That being said plz continue collecting all the hearsay and conspiracy theories here and maybe I'll come steal the best ideas B)

29 minutes ago, CHG said:

Hey! I'm an oweek coordinator so might be able to contribute a bit. Schulich wants us to get back to class in person ASAP, so they're trying to secure PPE and other necessary materials and work out the details. First priority will be those parts of the curriculum that can't be delivered online very well. As soon as we can get back to in-person we will be!!!! 

Oweek is looking at several options. Of course we want to be in person as much as you guys do but this might look like smaller group interactions instead of the typical 171 of us doing everything together. We're doing everything we can to make sure you guys get the experience and get to know each other just like we did, including the possibility of further integration when more restrictions are lifted! 

honestly when it comes down to it it'll be the government and western deciding what the rules are and Schulich and Oweek will all have to work around that. We're going to be keeping you guys as up to date as possible throughout the summer on fb to hopefully alleviate some of the anxiety. 

That being said plz continue collecting all the hearsay and conspiracy theories here and maybe I'll come steal the best ideas B)

Ahaha I love this. I'm pretty sure we all want to be back in-person (with the proper precautions of course), so I'm glad Western feels the same!! O-week will be super tough to plan, but maybe this thread can generate some ideas!

I'm looking for an excuse to move to London asap, so hopefully something is in-person ahah 

30 minutes ago, dooogs said:

@CHG  Would we have any in-person activities in august? (besides possibly white coat)?  I am asking this because I'm wondering if I should get a place for august or september? Could avoid paying for august if we only have white coat :)

Medical Foundations week is tentatively planned (in person fingers crossed) for the last week of August! The other consideration is that classes start the first week of September so if your lease started on September 1st you may only be giving yourself 1-2 days to move in (I'm not exactly sure the first day of class oops but it is the first week of September) 

Definitely ask your landlord whether you could move in halfway through august and just pay half that months rent - I was able to do that! I know not all landlords are that understanding though :(

30 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

I'm looking for an excuse to move to London asap, so hopefully something is in-person ahah 

"parents, the medical student suggested that we move to London as soon as possible so that we can create a zen space to promote our wellbeing and become comfortable in the city. They said it improves your success in first year by 150% at least"

I can be the 'medical student' so it's not technically a lie.......... 

*disclaimer I am only kidding move whenever is best for you, you're gonna be fine no matter what :) 

18 minutes ago, CHG said:

"parents, the medical student suggested that we move to London as soon as possible so that we can create a zen space to promote our wellbeing and become comfortable in the city. They said it improves your success in first year by 150% at least"

I can be the 'medical student' so it's not technically a lie.......... 

*disclaimer I am only kidding move whenever is best for you, you're gonna be fine no matter what :) 

This is exactly what I needed. That's it, I'm off to London!