Premed 101 Forums

McGill Med after 1 year of M.Sc.

Hello; I am going to start a masters next year either at McGill or UdeM. I heard that it was possible to apply to McGill med school after 1 year of grad school and (if admitted to med school) be able to complete the masters degree at the same time. There isn't any info about this on the med admission website, and I wanted to see if anyone had info about this (anyone who did this or knows someone who did). I tried to reach the admissions office because of course they would be able to answer the questions better than anyone else, but because of the situation I still haven't received an answer. I'm posting here because I wanna see if it's possible to do this if someone is doing their M Sc at another university (UdeM), because I need to make a decision between two labs soon. Thanks!

On 5/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, pnpclear said:

I think someone in my cohort is currently enrolled in a PhD program at UdeM but is enrolled full-time in med at McGill. They're planning on completing it by taking some gap years like the MD/PhD students. I don't know more details unfortunately...

That's okay! Thanks a lot for the info!

On 5/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, pnpclear said:

I think someone in my cohort is currently enrolled in a PhD program at UdeM but is enrolled full-time in med at McGill. They're planning on completing it by taking some gap years like the MD/PhD students. I don't know more details unfortunately...

After reading around and just reading tons of stuff on this forum, I've seen people who dropped their PhD, some who finished their PhD during the summer of their MD or literally took gap years. You just have to speak with the person who's responsible for your project and come up with a sort of compromise. Most of em are understanding.  

16 hours ago, hamsterman11 said:

After reading around and just reading tons of stuff on this forum, I've seen people who dropped their PhD, some who finished their PhD during the summer of their MD or literally took gap years. You just have to speak with the person who's responsible for your project and come up with a sort of compromise. Most of em are understanding.  

thank you!