Premed 101 Forums

Quebec expands admissions to medical schools by more than 100

AB2

It's already quite difficult for graduating physicians to find jobs in desirable cities... Maybe they're expecting the boomers to retire and jobs to free-up by then but I don't know, seems unnecessary to me. Money would be better spent by making the healthcare system more efficient.

Interesting! They mentioned that they will limit OOP places and give preference to IP applicants, seems like a good strategy for retaining MDs in the province no ? (given that IP applicants usually have higher chances of practicing in their home province ). 

Is there any stats on what's the percentage of med students who train in Quebec and then practice/train for residency in other provinces ? is the percentage higher than med students training in other provinces ? just curious to understand the motive of adopting such strategy

4 hours ago, MD_scientist said:

Interesting! They mentioned that they will limit OOP places and give preference to IP applicants, seems like a good strategy for retaining MDs in the province no ? (given that IP applicants usually have higher chances of practicing in their home province ). 

Is there any stats on what's the percentage of med students who train in Quebec and then practice/train for residency in other provinces ? is the percentage higher than med students training in other provinces ? just curious to understand the motive of adopting such strategy

Actually, ~60 OOP is quite an increase on the current policies - there's only ~10 OOP spots at McGill at the moment which gets the most.  There aren't that many francophones outside of QC so I'm not sure if they'll add more international?  Allow more OOP at McGill - would IP be happy then?  

Yes - QCers overwhelming stay in QC much more than other graduates.  The movement to ON is probably mostly from McGill.    

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2020-carms-forum.pdf (slide 32)

like discussed on the other thread, the big issue is what they'll do with residency positions.  Even the current slack in the system - unfilled rural FM won't be enough to absorb the increased number of grads.  

48 minutes ago, Snowmen said:

They've basically decided they would force people into the FM spots that are left every year at CaRMS. This isn't a victory, but rather the government deciding that they will have greater control over where people practice.

not to mention the competition for the most sought after specialties would become even more cut-throat than it already is...

1 hour ago, Snowmen said:

They've basically decided they would force people into the FM spots that are left every year at CaRMS. This isn't a victory, but rather the government deciding that they will have greater control over where people practice.

It would be better for everyone and cheaper for the government to just offer more attractive advantages to rural FM. Signing bonuses or tax deductions go a long way.

18 minutes ago, keipop said:

not to mention the competition for the most sought after specialties would become even more cut-throat than it already is...

not necessarily - I think it will mainly mean that people will have to show more interest in FM, like in the rest of Canada for desirable locations.

The relative increase in the number of med students is small - and fewer may gun as hard for specialties knowing FM in a good location is less of a safe bet.    

They'll have to increase residency spots, probably mostly FM, because they won't have enough even considering the unfilled rural FM.  They might add specialties that are considered in demand too. 

"In a release, Minister of Health and Social Services Danielle McCann said the creation of the new admissions is intended to address a lack of medical personnel in Quebec especially for its aging population. She noted that the current pandemic crisis, which hit more than 300 elderly residences across the province, “demonstrated the importance of correcting this situation.”" - quote from the article

It's very odd because the problems in our province during the pandemic has never been the lack of doctors. In fact, most of the CHSLD staff are nurses and PABs, those are the ones we need the most right now. Also, they have been cutting spots in med schools for the past 5 years or so, I can't believed they didn't consider the aging population when they decided to cut those spots. 

I'm looking forward to hear more about it, because their justification doesn't make a lot of sense to me.