Premed 101 Forums

Housing location

In case anyone is interested, I have one room available for sublet for the month of August in West Point Grey, right by the beach! It might make apartment hunting easier to be able to visit the places/neighbourhoods in person, especially for those who are OOP. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Also think about what you want to do when you aren’t at school, and whether you’ll want to move between first and second year.  Assuming the COVID situation settles down and lectures take place in your 2nd year, then they will happen at the Diamond Center at VGH. And lectures may well not happen for first year at all, so being close to UBC may not benefit you as much as previous year’s students if you don’t have to commute every day.

For years 1-2, many students choose to live somewhere along the bline route either in between the two locations, or even near VGH. Point Grey is pleasant, just little sleepy and fairly far from everything else Vancouver has to offer. If you’re someone who wants to go out to restaurants (or at least get a lot of takeout in COVID times), or just likes to get out on evenings and weekends, you might prefer living in Kits or Fairview. 

2 hours ago, keiko88 said:

Does anyone know the best platform for finding rentals? 

Craigslist is still king here for online platforms,  especially for condos rented direct from owner, although pad mapper is increasingly common. 

In my experience, the best way to find apartments in a dedicated rental building (after word of mouth) in Vancouver is still on foot - many of those buildings have older managers who can’t be bothered to post rentals online, and just wait for people to call the number posted out front.  Not doable if your OOP of course. But worth a try if you’re local. Many good places have been found that way amongst my circle, as recently as last year. 

Edited by frenchpress

12 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Craigslist is still king here for online platforms,  especially for condos Rented direct from owner, although pad mapper is increasingly common. 

In my experience, the best way to find apartments in a dedicated rental building (after word of mouth) in Vancouver is still on foot - many of those buildings have older managers who can’t be bothered to post rentals online, and just wait for people to call the number posted out front.  Not doable if your OOP of course. But worth a try if you’re local. Many good places have been found that way amongst my circle over, most recently as last year. 

Great info, thank you very much! 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, frenchpress said:

Assuming the COVID situation settles down and lectures take place in your 2nd year, then they will happen at the Diamond Center at VGH. 

Oh hey I didn't realize that!! Is that for all lectures in 2nd year? The entire year's taking place at VGH?

56 minutes ago, Giant_Anteaters said:

Oh hey I didn't realize that!! Is that for all lectures in 2nd year? The entire year's taking place at VGH?

Almost entirely, as @MDubc2021 explained.

In 1st year usually MWF at UBC, with small group CBL and lecture in the am and Flex (M) or labs and tutorials and other lecture sessions in the afternoons. And then Tuesday/Thursday a mix of clinical skills (at Diamond or sometimes UBC), study time and family practice (depending on the week).

2nd year is swapped. So on MWFs Diamond for lectures and CBL. Tuesday’s or Thursday’s are afternoons are usually lab days (histo or anatomy at UBC). And then there’s clinical skills and family practice mixed into Wednesday and Friday afternoons (or Thursday mornings).

Different groups have slightly schedules for which days are clinical skills and family practice and study time, but that’s roughly it. And lectures/labs/tutorials/CBL the same for everyone.

10 hours ago, frenchpress said:

In 1st year usually MWF at UBC, with small group CBL and lecture in the am and Flex (M) or labs and tutorials and other lecture sessions in the afternoons. And then Tuesday/Thursday a mix of clinical skills (at Diamond or sometimes UBC), study time and family practice (depending on the week).

Cool, thanks for the info!! By the way, what do you mean by "Flex (M)"

28 minutes ago, Giant_Anteaters said:

Cool, thanks for the info!! By the way, what do you mean by "Flex (M)"

Flex is the ‘scholarship’ component of the curriculum. Half day once a week in years 1 and 2. There are also stretches of FLEX at the end of years 1/2, and again in forth year, where you work on a larger scholarship project(s). 

For much of first year flex the half day is focused on ‘how to do research’. Mostly lectures and small group tutorials, although I recall some discussion that some of it might be moving towards online modules / self-directed (not entirely sure). In second year the weekly half days are mostly for project time. 

Flex projects are mainly research type projects, but there’s opportunities to do many kinds of things (quality improvement projects, modules for the curriculum, art projects, experiential learning, etc, etc, etc). For many it’s a ‘flexcation’ and kind of a write off...but many people also get a lot done in that time. 

• 2 weeks later...