Premed 101 Forums

1 hour ago, redbeanbun said:

Really silly question but we don't need to respond to the Campus Specification email, right? Just asking because the email said "we are now in a position to offer you a spot at..." so it almost sounds like you should respond. Also my student center still says "unspecified" 

Not silly! As long as you responded to your original offer (which I'm assuming you did because the deadline has passed LOL) you should be good to go. Student centre does take a while to update - when I got my call off the waitlist they told me to give it 24 hrs to update so I would assume it'd be the same for any changes made to your student centre! You should see it tomorrow :)

13 hours ago, dooogs said:

Just wondering how can people that accepted London still change their minds? Would it only be people that are on waitlists OOP?

I heard every year, some people who paid the deposit and accepted the offer bail-out last minute around July. Since you have first-round offer, you have priority in getting those spots

31 minutes ago, Malulu123 said:

I heard every year, some people who paid the deposit and accepted the offer bail-out last minute around July. Since you have first-round offer, you have priority in getting those spots

Oh god. That's a pretty big IF :(

49 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Oh god. That's a pretty big IF :(

.......yeah that is a big IF. Probably some people had emergencies in some way or failed to complete the requirements to get in (like graduating). I mean things happen, we had someone in the class below me pulled in extremely late but it is very rare of course. 

3 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

.......yeah that is a big IF. Probably some people had emergencies in some way or failed to complete the requirements to get in (like graduating). I mean things happen, we had someone in the class below me pulled in extremely late but it is very rare of course. 

So are the chances of being switched to London small at this point ?

1 minute ago, dooogs said:

So are the chances of being switched to London small at this point ?

For a bunch of reasons I would say definitely yes - it would be odd to lose some one post acceptance. If you did they could be from either campus. If they were assigned to London then at best case a single person would be bumped to their preference from Windsor. There are 38 people going to Windsor - it seems very likely most of those people originally wanted London - particular from how vocal people are this year about this - so at worst the odds if someone dropped I suppose would be 1/38 chance of being bumped (it isn't because some people do want Windsor but that is the upper bound). Objectively this all combined is a really small chance - the odds of someone dropping, that they are at London, and you happen to be the the next in line. 

I will add again that Windsor is a great branch of the school - really is. People may have other reasons to prefer a particular city, location etc - of course that is fair - but don't doubt the school itself. 

I know people from previous years that were initially assigned Windsor campus and then later in the summer got London. Does anybody else have any information on this? It's crazy that this is one of the only (??) year in the last few years where NOBODY from HWL got London. Meaning some unspecified are going to Windsor.

2 hours ago, dooogs said:

I know people from previous years that were initially assigned Windsor campus and then later in the summer got London. Does anybody else have any information on this? It's crazy that this is one of the only (??) year in the last few years where NOBODY from HWL got London. Meaning some unspecified are going to Windsor.

I've heard that you are automatically considered for your top choice if a spot opens up. As in, if someone drops out of the London campus now, an unspecified who received Windsor will automatically take their place (if they had London as their first choice). So there's no need to take any action or contact the admissions office, and there is still hope

That's just what I've heard, though 

2 minutes ago, TheStern said:

I've heard that you are automatically considered for your top choice if a spot opens up. As in, if someone drops out of the London campus now, an unspecified who received Windsor will automatically take their place (if they had London as their first choice). So there's no need to take any action or contact the admissions office, and there is still hope

That's just what I've heard, though 

Yeah this is true. I've heard this from the admissions office. The only thing though - how likely is it that someone will drop their London spot now? They've already paid the deposit. My thinking is that they may reject it for an OOP waitlist. I am just very surprised that this year it seems that there are way less people declining their offers. Seemed from previous trends that basically everybody who is unspecified gets London. Even some HWL got London. I just don't know what the chances are at this point... donno if I should look for a Windsor place ...

1 hour ago, dooogs said:

Yeah this is true. I've heard this from the admissions office. The only thing though - how likely is it that someone will drop their London spot now? They've already paid the deposit. My thinking is that they may reject it for an OOP waitlist. I am just very surprised that this year it seems that there are way less people declining their offers. Seemed from previous trends that basically everybody who is unspecified gets London. Even some HWL got London. I just don't know what the chances are at this point... donno if I should look for a Windsor place ...

In addition to people dropping the spot entirely, people could defer. I wouldn't be surprised if a few spots opened up, and there are probably only a few "unspecifieds" who got Windsor that requested London

2 minutes ago, TheStern said:

In addition to people dropping the spot entirely, people could defer. I wouldn't be surprised if a few spots opened up, and there are probably only a few "unspecifieds" who got Windsor that requested London

Hoping that by the end of the month i can know definitely. Otherwise it's going to be tricky finding housing:-(

52 minutes ago, TheStern said:

yeah there is a bit of that (people that for some reason couldn't graduate is another reason).

Correct me if I am wrong but so far no one has reported being pulled from the NWL? and there are still some HWL out there? 

Edited by rmorelan

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dooogs said:

Has anybody lived in london and commuted to windsor for mandatory sessions? For personal reasons it would be very very difficult to live away from london :-(

Hey! In the past (pre-covid schedule) we have had mandatory sessions 3-4 days of the week most weeks (Tuesday is off) so that would be a lot of commuting. It may be possible during first semester of this year as in person mandatory sessions will be scaled back. You’ll also want to consider the fact that your ‘extras’ (longitudinal clinical experiences, service learning) will likely be located in Windsor as well. You may be able to do observerships in London but admin has made it clear to me that there will be no crossing campuses for mandatory class sessions (something other students were wondering about) so it would be wise to check in with them on cross campus observerships instead of just taking my word for it! 

in third year during clerkship you will be located at the Windsor hospitals - I haven’t experienced clerkship yet but from what I know it would be near impossible to commute for that. 

overall my personal opinion is that it would be wise to have a housing situation in Windsor starting in January at the very least. A good number of my classmates go home for weekends quite regularly (even to the GTA) - the drive to London is pretty short so you could probably count on being back in London most Friday afternoons to Sunday evenings/Monday mornings if that eases any of your anxieties! It would even be pretty easy to jump in on a car pool if you don’t have transportation :)