Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Online BHSc Program

2 hours ago, yeescience said:

Would anyone have any info on the difficulty of courses and/or course reviews for the Queen's BHSc online program? Considering this program for a second degree but would like to know if it is possible to do really well. Thanks.

Yeah.... so as someone who is fairly familiar with the program (I did Life Science at Queen's and have taken several of the BHSc courses, repped Life Sci at open houses and was expected to be able to speak a bit about the BHSc program in comparison), it's a pretty reasonable program. It's a blend of the biomedical sciences (the Life Sci/ biochem end) and the social science side (health studies), so it doesn't get too indepth into either subject. Early courses are things like intro anatomy, intro pharm, philosophy of healthcare I think. They also take a second year physiology (which was one of the harder courses I took as a Lifesci), but the online version is pretty fair from what I've heard. Generally the courses aren't too difficult, they're well liked and often taken as bird courses by the Life Sci/Biochem kids. I imagine it's fairly easy to do well in the program overall. Feel free to message me more and I can try to be a bit more specific with things. The websites for the program are also very current/well kept and so you should be able to see things like the course assessments. Most that I've taken consisted of discussion boards, a paper or two or a couple longer written assignments, as well as a group project of some type, and maybe a couple low weighted online proctored exams or tests. 

2 hours ago, yeescience said:

Would anyone have any info on the difficulty of courses and/or course reviews for the Queen's BHSc online program? Considering this program for a second degree but would like to know if it is possible to do really well. Thanks.

Following, I've been thinking about this program as well! Although, I was wondering if this program would be counted for in our GPA the same as any other program (despite it being fully online)? If anyone knows, please share :)thanks!

9 minutes ago, itsjessa said:

Following, I've been thinking about this program as well! Although, I was wondering if this program would be counted for in our GPA the same as any other program (despite it being fully online)? If anyone knows, please share :)thanks!

They market it as a good stepping stone to other graduate/professional programs, so I can't imagine it being an issue at most schools. Plus, at Queen's, all of our courses (online or in person) so up the same on our transcripts, so I'm not sure anywhere could tell if it were an online program. They also have a new blended version of the program which is partially done in person, on campus, but it's the same degree and again, I don't think you could tell the two versions apart by looking at a transcript. There may be specific school requirements to double check, but I think it would *generally* be treated like a "regular" program. 

On 5/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, itsjessa said:

I am researching that right now. It seems most schools are ok with it but just saw UOttawa doesnt count distance education degrees, even if done on a full-time basis. Quite frustrating. I am unsure if that policy will change though, given the COVID-19 situation. Hopefully.

On 5/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, itsjessa said:

Ottawa won't count it

18 hours ago, cubes868 said:

Ottawa won't count it

18 hours ago, yeescience said:

I am researching that right now. It seems most schools are ok with it but just saw UOttawa doesnt count distance education degrees, even if done on a full-time basis. Quite frustrating. I am unsure if that policy will change though, given the COVID-19 situation. Hopefully.

I asked the program advisor "What are the differences between online and in-person BHSc program? Do the transcripts and degree specifically indicate the program is online?". The answer was:

No, there is no difference. Both the on-campus and online BHSc degrees are 4-year honour's degrees approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. All students are awarded a Bachelor of Health Sciences degree from the Senate of Queen's University. Official transcripts will not indicate how the degree was completed (i.e. online or on-campus).

With that being said, do you think I have to specify it is an online program when I apply to med school? If I don't disclose, is it a red flag, like breaching the academic integrity? Not sure if worth to do it or do an on-campus second degree else where...

24 minutes ago, hopefully2020 said:

I asked the program advisor "What are the differences between online and in-person BHSc program? Do the transcripts and degree specifically indicate the program is online?". The answer was:

No, there is no difference. Both the on-campus and online BHSc degrees are 4-year honour's degrees approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. All students are awarded a Bachelor of Health Sciences degree from the Senate of Queen's University. Official transcripts will not indicate how the degree was completed (i.e. online or on-campus).

With that being said, do you think I have to specify it is an online program when I apply to med school? If I don't disclose, is it a red flag, like breaching the academic integrity? Not sure if worth to do it or do an on-campus second degree else where...

I'm guessing our best bet is to reach out to Ottawa med directly to ask. I have and waiting on an answer. I wouldn't take the risk otherwise. Unfortunately, it is too late to apply to several other second degrees for September.

1 minute ago, yeescience said:

I'm guessing our best bet is to reach out to Ottawa med directly to ask. I have and waiting on an answer. I wouldn't take the risk otherwise. Unfortunately, it is too late to apply to several other second degrees for September.

Maybe you can do non-degree and transfer your credits to a degree program next year?

I applied to UBC last fall. However I can only do a biochem degree which I think is less useful and way harder to get a high gpa (the averages ~70) compared with Queen's.