Premed 101 Forums

Studying Strategies in Medical School

Hi everyone, 

I hope you're all doing well. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this, but I was wondering if current/past McGill medical students can share their studying strategies and advice for doing well in the first year and a half of the program.

For example, did you focus mostly on lecture notes and only used textbooks/online resources when you didn't understand certain concepts or did professors tell you that anything could be tested from assigned textbook chapters (i.e. not just what is covered in class)? Also, are textbooks online or do we have to buy physical copies?

How many hours per day do you recommend studying outside of lectures, labs, and small group activities? Are there a lot of assignments due every week or is most of your time spent preparing for exams? What is the exam format?

Do you recommend any useful online resources (e.g. Firecracker, Youtube channels that you found helpful, etc.)?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!