Premed 101 Forums

Would it be okay to start practicing sutures before school starts?

I'm an incoming student and I'm dying from boredom so far this summer. I'm out of school and not working. I'm occupying my time with some activities like running and biking but I still have a lot of spare time. 

I am interested in surgery and would love to have some fun learning suturing techniques off of youtube and suturing kits. Would this be appropriate to do before starting school? I'm worried I'll get used to a specific technique and if I don't do it properly I might develop inappropriate habits. Should I wait until school starts?

I honestly don't think waiting a few months till school starts will make much difference (although I totally get your angst being cooped up at home being unproductive--I'm in the same boat). I'm so used to being a busybody that it's definitely a little disconcerting to just browse memes all day and sleep. It'll prob be the last time we'll be able to get a stress-free night of sleep for the next couple of years (especially if you're thinking of doing surgery!), so best enjoy. Also, not sure where you're located, but I've been trying to go hiking a lot since the weather's gotten better and workout as much as I can. I know that I'll get crazy busy once school starts and physical fitness is gonna go to crap again.

P.S. Oh hey, congrats on getting into med! I've seen you post on the forum for a while, so really glad to see you got in this year.

2 hours ago, RiderSx said:

I'm an incoming student and I'm dying from boredom so far this summer. I'm out of school and not working. I'm occupying my time with some activities like running and biking but I still have a lot of spare time. 

I am interested in surgery and would love to have some fun learning suturing techniques off of youtube and suturing kits. Would this be appropriate to do before starting school? I'm worried I'll get used to a specific technique and if I don't do it properly I might develop inappropriate habits. Should I wait until school starts?

Ive thought about it too. Ive also been running and hiking but feel like i still have tons of time that i waste watching netflix (RUNNING OUT OF SHOWS! :( ) 

Please let me know if you find out anything about suture kits or something like that... I heard it's expensive to order?

4 minutes ago, dooogs said:

Ive thought about it too. Ive also been running and hiking but feel like i still have tons of time that i waste watching netflix (RUNNING OUT OF SHOWS! :( ) 

Please let me know if you find out anything about suture kits or something like that... I heard it's expensive to order?

If it’s anything like my school they’ll just give you some once you start. You’ll have plenty of time to practice in school - enjoy the sun for now :)

2 hours ago, RiderSx said:

8 minutes ago, dooogs said:

We get to practice with stuff at school but I also got this kit to practice! 

https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Including-Generation-Demonstration-Education/dp/B077N8BJLS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=suture+kit&qid=1590523365&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlZFVEpZNUhXSFczJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExMDg0TlA3VjlKT1VOVjlSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NDEyMzgzNzNFNlFYN0hYQVE4JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Definitely not like actual-surgery level equipment but lots of materials included and you can use the silicone over and over again! There are so many good YouTube videos. I like to practice my sutures while I'm watching Netflix, mostly just to work on my grip strength and dexterity. Don't feel pressured to do this though, I do it because I find it a fun skill to practice like how some people knit I guess? Make sure you get outside and relax lots like everybody else has been saying too though!!!!

5 minutes ago, CHG said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Including-Generation-Demonstration-Education/dp/B077N8BJLS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=suture+kit&qid=1590523365&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMlZFVEpZNUhXSFczJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExMDg0TlA3VjlKT1VOVjlSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NDEyMzgzNzNFNlFYN0hYQVE4JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Definitely not like actual-surgery level equipment but lots of materials included and you can use the silicone over and over again! There are so many good YouTube videos. I like to practice my sutures while I'm watching Netflix, mostly just to work on my grip strength and dexterity. Don't feel pressured to do this though, I do it because I find it a fun skill to practice like how some people knit I guess? Make sure you get outside and relax lots like everybody else has been saying too though!!!!

YOU ROCK

2 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

I honestly don't think waiting a few months till school starts will make much difference (although I totally get your angst being cooped up at home being unproductive--I'm in the same boat). I'm so used to being a busybody that it's definitely a little disconcerting to just browse memes all day and sleep. It'll prob be the last time we'll be able to get a stress-free night of sleep for the next couple of years (especially if you're thinking of doing surgery!), so best enjoy. Also, not sure where you're located, but I've been trying to go hiking a lot since the weather's gotten better and workout as much as I can. I know that I'll get crazy busy once school starts and physical fitness is gonna go to crap again.

P.S. Oh hey, congrats on getting into med! I've seen you post on the forum for a while, so really glad to see you got in this year.

I’ve been doing the same! Hiking, biking and working out as much as possible. Trying to look fit for when classes start :P

Also, thank you! It’s a pleasure knowing you’ve noticed me going from premed to med!

@CHG thank you so much!! I’m gonna buy this kit and have some fun practicing sutures over the summer!

19 hours ago, CHG said:

read some reviews on amazon that the instruments are too small compared to the real thing. Is that true?

19 hours ago, CHG said:

FYI for those who got this kit, it is not great for subcuticular sutures at all, which are probably the ones that you'd wanna practice most.

I don't find suture kits to be that helpful, but if you REALLY wanna practice before starting med school you could work on knot tying and getting it down perfectly one-handed, two-handed, left hand, right hand...

32 minutes ago, dooogs said:

read some reviews on amazon that the instruments are too small compared to the real thing. Is that true?

I found the instruments to be quite comparable to what we used at school to practice on pigs feet but I'm a small person with small hands so perhaps I am wrong. I have done sutures on a few occasions in the ER just on like lacerations from somebody slipping while cutting their vegetables, or cutting themselves on broken glass and I found it to be comparable to that as well. Like I said I just use it as a fun hobby to work on my grip strength and dexterity - I am certain that when it comes down to it I will still have a lot to learn but I was mostly suggesting it as a cheap, easy place to start practicing your skills! :) 

Why everytime overexcited future students post something on this forum, there are med student discouraging them from doing anything before the start of term? Let us be excited hahaha! Even if it's not useful, it's still a fun way to spend time. Just like knitting or sudokus or whatever :P

7 minutes ago, Mel96b said:

Why everytime overexcited future students post something on this forum, there are med student discouraging them from doing anything before the start of term? Let us be excited hahaha! Even if it's not useful, it's still a fun way to spend time. Just like knitting or sudokus or whatever :P

I think it’s because we are little fluffy bunnies to the upper years. They see these topics and they think “aw, that’s cute, they wanna play with a suturing kit and make little knots, they have no idea what clerkship’s got in store for then” :lol:

I mean look, I sneakily bought a stethoscope in advance and didn't tell anybody because I didn't want to look keen.  But it was exciting.  Obviously now I haven't touched it in four years lol.

You do you.  If it makes you feel happy and excited, well we all need more of that in our lives right now.  It's a huge accomplishment to get into medicine and if it makes you realize you're part of the club now, why not.

18 minutes ago, ellorie said:

And probably wishing we had a period of several months where we could not think about medicine at all.

I get it. I remember during my bachelors I was organizing integration activities and a guy was almost harrassing me to give him my notes / powerpoint / book references so he could start studying during the summer. At this time, I was just as salty as you are. Chill out dude!

And now I understand how he was feeling. Poor dude. Now I'm the fluffy bunny... but oh well, I don't care. I've been waiting 5 years for this moment. I'll watch as much video about note taking in med school as I want LOL! Sue me. :D

Honestly I also wish I had other more exciting things to do - like the travelling I had planned :(:(:(

Can't even properly hang out with friends, no festivals this summer NOTHING - only suture kits! (LOL)

*obviously not complaining - all of these are "great" issues to have :P

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BigHoss said:

I'd recommend making and improving your LinkedIn Profile, seems trivial, but it's actually quite helpful!

hi! i actually made a LinkedIn recently due to sheer boredom. would you mind elaborating on how you have used it / how it's been helpful throughout med school etc.? thank you !

1 hour ago, Synth1 said:

Whoa, yeah this could really go awry. What if you picked up some bad habits, like suturing behind the back or blindfolded?

Don't forget cutting the suture just the right length. You'd lose out on the memorable experience of disappointing your attending.

16 hours ago, honeymoon said:

hi! i actually made a LinkedIn recently due to sheer boredom. would you mind elaborating on how you have used it / how it's been helpful throughout med school etc.? thank you !

It's a way to tell people you don't want on Facebook you are in med. 

16 hours ago, honeymoon said:

I think it would be helpful because whether you want to believe it or not, employers/supervisors/people in general search your name up, for example when applying for a job/residencies. So if someone's gonna stalk you, you at least want the first google result to be:

1. Something you want them to see

2. Something you wouldn't mind them seeing

3. Something to show who you are

4. Something to come before they see that weird YouTube Video of you drunk at a Party in College grinding up next to a guy in a Santa Claus Suit.

It's also great, because you can connect with people and proff's at your school in a professional manner, and also have your name out there.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would also search your name up on Google, and see what shows up. If your Instagram profile is showing up, consider making your account private. If your YouTube channel is showing up, turn off the ability for the public to see the videos you like and the channels you're subscribed to, and the comments you've made. If your TikTok account is showing up, well......delete that sh*t HAHAHA.

I guess the best way to think of it all is, everyone's info is online nowadays anyways, but the least you can do, is only have the good things online, and the not-so-good things, private.

10 minutes ago, BigHoss said:

I would also search your name up on Google, and see what shows up. If your Instagram profile is showing up, consider making your account private. If your YouTube channel is showing up, turn off the ability for the public to see the videos you like and the channels you're subscribed to, and the comments you've made. If your TikTok account is showing up, well......delete that sh*t HAHAHA.

I guess the best way to think of it all is, everyone's info is online nowadays anyways, but the least you can do, is only have the good things online, and the not-so-good things, private.

My name is SO COMMON, more than 30 linkedin profiles are coming out HAHAHA

Also I'm not the only researcher with that name so everyone must think that I'm that woman working with rats who published A LOT of papers on genetics (even researchgate can't make the difference and keeps asking me if these are my articles). Thanks for the advice anyway lol, I was a nice experiment!