Premed 101 Forums

Postgraduate PT options

Hey guys,

I was wondering, let’s say I’m on my way to finish my undergrad and I’m now deciding where to go for my postgraduate, ultimately to become a physiotherapist. Let’s say my prestigious dream school is Oxford, Cambridge, or another university in Canada. However none have PT programs.

If I go to Oxford for something like musculoskeletal sciences, would I still be eligible to be certified as a PT? 

My question is, do I necessarily HAVE to attend a masters in PT program in order to become a physiotherapist? Or can I go beyond and obtain a masters in something SIMILAR and be still eligible? I’ve checked everywhere and I couldn’t find anything objecting the idea of getting a masters in something similar. Though the catch is that it may take longer, for me it’s not really about the goal to be a physiotherapist, it’s also about educating myself and experiencing more. 

There are polytechnic schools (such as oxford brookes) which I read have the PT program but the difference from university is that polytechnic schools are more about preparing you for the workplace while universities focus more on research and education. 

I’m too poor to go to both schools for the purposes of education and qualification. Does it have to be a PT masters program? 

Thanks in advanced.

I think this would be a question for the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR), they administer the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) which is a requirement for practicing PT in Canada. On their FAQ, it states:

"Canadian-educated and internationally educated graduates of physiotherapy programs take the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE), regardless of their experience. Most regulators in Canada include passing the PCE as part of their entry-to-practice process.

If you are an internationally educated graduate of a physiotherapy program, CAPR must evaluate your credentials before you can take the PCE. The Educational Credentials and Qualifications Assessment will determine whether your education and qualifications are substantially equivalent to those of a Canadian-educated physiotherapist."

All this to say, I'm not 100% sure but I think you would need to complete a degree specifically in physiotherapy in order to be licensed to practice in Canada. Worth sending an email to someone at CAPR to verify though, as I could very easily be wrong!

You'd need a degree in physiotherapy as a Musculoskeletal sciences won't cover things like cardiopulmonary physio, or neuro physio. Msk sciences would likely not cover the rehabilitation and medical side of physiotherapy and you'd have no clinical hours in a hospital (correct me if the MSK sciences program does any of this), thus you would not be able to be certified as a physiotherapist. I know international physios working here and they all have degrees in physiotherapy 

7 minutes ago, maybePT said:

You'd need a degree in physiotherapy as a Musculoskeletal sciences won't cover things like cardiopulmonary physio, or neuro physio. Msk sciences would likely not cover the rehabilitation and medical side of physiotherapy and you'd have no clinical hours in a hospital (correct me if the MSK sciences program does any of this), thus you would not be able to be certified as a physiotherapist. I know international physios working here and they all have degrees in physiotherapy 

To add to this, if going to Oxford is your dream, and you're willing to sacrifice 2 years of your working life and money to pursue it, you can do the MSc MSK sciences before physiotherapy. However, Oxford does state that most people who do this degree are already clinicians who are looking to advance their credentials, or people looking to get into research. That means it doesn't really have a value in the job market as a stand alone degree. 

44 minutes ago, jhall_88xc said:

I think this would be a question for the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR), they administer the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) which is a requirement for practicing PT in Canada. On their FAQ, it states:

"Canadian-educated and internationally educated graduates of physiotherapy programs take the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE), regardless of their experience. Most regulators in Canada include passing the PCE as part of their entry-to-practice process.

If you are an internationally educated graduate of a physiotherapy program, CAPR must evaluate your credentials before you can take the PCE. The Educational Credentials and Qualifications Assessment will determine whether your education and qualifications are substantially equivalent to those of a Canadian-educated physiotherapist."

All this to say, I'm not 100% sure but I think you would need to complete a degree specifically in physiotherapy in order to be licensed to practice in Canada. Worth sending an email to someone at CAPR to verify though, as I could very easily be wrong!

Very helpful, thank you for your reply! After reading the other reply I think I will just pursue a regular PT program! It makes more sense to do so anyway.

But this was helpful, thank you.

10 minutes ago, maybePT said:

To add to this, if going to Oxford is your dream, and you're willing to sacrifice 2 years of your working life and money to pursue it, you can do the MSc MSK sciences before physiotherapy. However, Oxford does state that most people who do this degree are already clinicians who are looking to advance their credentials, or people looking to get into research. That means it doesn't really have a value in the job market as a stand alone degree. 

Right, this makes perfectly sense now, thank you! I only just got accepted into my undergrad for fall so I’m probably getting ahead of myself! Though it doesn’t hurt to think ahead I guess.

It probably does makes sense that a prestigious school like Oxford who’s well known for it’s notable alumni and success would only provide masters for research and further credentials rather than provide necessary teachings for the workplace that your local university could! 

That being said, Oxford and Cambridge aren’t really dreams of mine, more just contemplations of the day. Though taking the opportunity to study abroad is something I would love to do (ignoring the heavy financial burdens), so I will start by finding PT programs in the Uk instead.

Thank you for our reply. It was very helpful! :)

3 hours ago, Jig said:

Right, this makes perfectly sense now, thank you! I only just got accepted into my undergrad for fall so I’m probably getting ahead of myself! Though it doesn’t hurt to think ahead I guess.

It probably does makes sense that a prestigious school like Oxford who’s well known for it’s notable alumni and success would only provide masters for research and further credentials rather than provide necessary teachings for the workplace that your local university could! 

That being said, Oxford and Cambridge aren’t really dreams of mine, more just contemplations of the day. Though taking the opportunity to study abroad is something I would love to do (ignoring the heavy financial burdens), so I will start by finding PT programs in the Uk instead.

Thank you for our reply. It was very helpful! :)

If you are planning to practice physiotherapy in Canada, I would aim for a Canadian seat first, as you'll have to recertify yourself as a physio and write qualification exams to practice here. It's more loopholes to jump. Also you'll be paying international student fees. You could study in Canada then travel to England for cheaper haha. Also as you progress in your degree you'll see how big name universities don't really translate into big name jobs and just because research is coming out of Oxford or Harvard, doesn't make it any more or less valuable to the scientific community. But you're in the right mindset by thinking ahead. Good luck with your studies! And if you ever have any questions feel free to message.