Premed 101 Forums

For those struggling with rejection, concerns, or quarantine

Hello everyone! I can only imagine how differently difficult this pandemics iss for everyone. Having perceived the type of impacts this quarantine can have on mental health, and how many of us simply need someone to talk to (especially after receiving rejections) , I made a page called Allone where I answer any questions, converse, or keep company for those who feel isolated, alone, or however else you may be feeling. The facebook page is:

https://www.facebook.com/Allone-111909780529377/?modal=admin_todo_tour

This page is ran solely by myself, and everything is confidential and could be anonymous if you wish it to be. I am NOT a professional, but I am open to discuss about any topic. Cheers, everyone!
P.s I, as well, was faced with rejections this cycle but I found connecting with others tremendously helpful.

@Allone This is a good initiative, but I feel like Facebook is the wrong platform to do it on as most people don't have anonymous accounts (like they do on here). I think people would be hesitant to approach a random stranger on the internet while you yourself haven't provided any specific details about your shared troubles (beyond being faced with rejections). Sharing your story of how things went for you, what your GPA/extracurriculars look like/what you plan on doing in the future/what traps you fell in during your journey (and more) will at the very least be something that future pre-meds can find through Google for reassurance and to know where they stand.

You might also be interested in volunteering for BC's crisis centre (or whichever region you're located in). As an added bonus, it's something you could add to your extracurriculars and to support people who come from all walks of life. (Not that physicians don't come from all walks of life, but a large portion of premeds are soon-to-be or already graduated BSc students under 25)

9 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

@Allone This is a good initiative, but I feel like Facebook is the wrong platform to do it on as most people don't have anonymous accounts (like they do on here). I think people would be hesitant to approach a random stranger on the internet while you yourself haven't provided any specific details about your shared troubles (beyond being faced with rejections). Sharing your story of how things went for you, what your GPA/extracurriculars look like/what you plan on doing in the future/what traps you fell in during your journey (and more) will at the very least be something that future pre-meds can find through Google for reassurance and to know where they stand.

You might also be interested in volunteering for BC's crisis centre (or whichever region you're located in). As an added bonus, it's something you could add to your extracurriculars and to support people who come from all walks of life. (Not that physicians don't come from all walks of life, but a large portion of premeds are soon-to-be or already graduated BSc students under 25)

Thanks for sharing the BC's crisis centre. I'm very interested in it but the next intake will not open in a month. Did you mind sharing other similar places where we can provide support to others? Thanks.

@hopefully2020 try other online forums for each respective school you've been to or have shared experiences with (not necessarily for premeds, but all students). Not sure if this forum likes us suggesting other competing sites, but you can find a variety of places via google. 

Personally, it's probably worth waiting for that next intake and taking a short online course on counseling others and how to approach sensitive topics. For the vast majority of med students, a rejection just means trying for another year: for programs where your support would go the furthest, it would be with people who've recently lost a family member, are grieving, suicidal, etc. You could also try doing some COVID-19-related volunteering (like buying groceries for at-risk people!)