Premed 101 Forums

Have accepted applicants heard anything from UBC?

I just checked the SSC and I also have an enrolment letter available! So exciting. However, I noticed something and wanted to check with others. 

My enrolment letter says Doctor of Medicine in Vancouver campus, even though I accepted an offer to NMP. 

Do all the enrolment letters say Vancouver campus? Does this just indicate the Vancouver campus of UBC as opposed to UBCO?

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 15.59.26.png

28 minutes ago, Ginny Midgeon said:

I just checked the SSC and I also have an enrolment letter available! So exciting. However, I noticed something and wanted to check with others. 

My enrolment letter says Doctor of Medicine in Vancouver campus, even though I accepted an offer to NMP. 

Do all the enrolment letters say Vancouver campus? Does this just indicate the Vancouver campus of UBC as opposed to UBCO?

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 15.59.26.png

I have the same thing! My letter says vancouver but I'm IMP. I think its just saying vancouver so as to differentiate it from UBCO

13 hours ago, Rusty Verdigris said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for LoC advisors at different banks? I saw someone on the main LoC thread recommending a Vancouver-based advisor for RBC, but anyone have any leads for the other banks? 

I don't have any advisors for other banks, but for RBC I'm using someone from the Wesbrook village RBC right off of UBC Vancouver campus:

Mei (Claire) Li 

mei.li@rbc.com

Edited by HongHongHong
Grammar

20 hours ago, acceptmeplease said:

Also just wondering... Does anyone know when we find out about entrance scholarships, or the Doctors of BC scholarship?

Now that I'm thinking about tuition costs lol

Why are you going Scotia Bank??? I am really torn between RBC and Scotia. 

I have no idea about the Doctors of BC scholarship but I read on the MD Finances page under the scholarship section that we can apply for entrance scholarships in August. 
Also good news for anyone getting student loans, apparently because of COVID we are eligible for a higher amount than most years (I think it is 3000$ more) so that will be helpful. 

This should give you a ballpark of what to expect for their "package". You can just get the line of credit on its own. You shouldn't have to pay more than prime rate because the rate is based on your future income as a physician not your current income. Prime rate is floating 3-4%. Honestly all advisors are willingly giving out line of credits. Just call in/log in online to setup a phone appointment. I bank with RBC so I'm just sticking with them. With an unsecured line of credit you'll probably get 200k-250k. They'll ask for a ballpark budget sheet, tuition costs, future residency stipend. They'll do a "hard" check your credit score which might be different than the "soft" check that you get for free online. I didn't go to UBC so I have to wait until July to pull the trigger on it. But yea call both rbc and scotia advisors for the terms (line of credit amount, interest rate, bonus cash back for signing up, promotions, etc.) if you're unsure. They'll be better at explaining than a science undergrad.

(probably should be a UBC line of credit thread)

Hope this helps!

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/healthcare/en/offers/index.html

image.png.1b07785a85aaf0853ab2557ecb136727.png

Just got an email

"Congratulations on joining the Island Medical Program Class of 2024!

You will be registered as a student at the University of Victoria.  Prior to registration, UVic must confirm whether you have any previous affiliation with the institution, either as an applicant or a student.  This will allow you to obtain a UVic ID card, apply for housing, receive health and dental coverage, access the library, etc.

Please complete this survey at your earliest convenience, regardless of whether or not you have any previous affiliation with UVic."

16 hours ago, CrisprRaps said:

Just got an email

"Congratulations on joining the Island Medical Program Class of 2024!

You will be registered as a student at the University of Victoria.  Prior to registration, UVic must confirm whether you have any previous affiliation with the institution, either as an applicant or a student.  This will allow you to obtain a UVic ID card, apply for housing, receive health and dental coverage, access the library, etc.

Please complete this survey at your earliest convenience, regardless of whether or not you have any previous affiliation with UVic."

Anyone else get an email like this??

2 hours ago, initrams said:

Has anyone- who didn't previous go to UBC or have a UBC student number- received a student number? If so where did you find it? I heard it will show up on OAS but I'm not sure where to loook on OAS. 

i believe it's supposed to show up on the 'application status' tab, but i haven't received a number yet (i didnt go to UBC for undergrad). i do however have a student # when i log into SSC (idk if it means anything though). i'm still going to hold out until i see the student # on the OAS before starting the relevant orientation checklist things

47 minutes ago, CrisprRaps said:

I saw that a UBC ID popped up on the bottom of the application status tab on the OAS but it seems pretty long for a student ID

UBC student numbers are usually 6 digits. (8 digits*)

My old undergraduate ID popped up under the application status tab.