Premed 101 Forums

Have accepted applicants heard anything from UBC?

2 minutes ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Hey everyone - I received an offer off the waitlist only this past week. I was wondering if there is any word on when the start date for classes are?

Desperately trying to get everything sorted and there's a lot of info I don't yet have access to!

Start date is Aug 24. There may be 'registration' happening the week prior. Everything you need to get started on should be in the "Welcome Letter" -- there's also the orientation website which has the rest of the info!

10 minutes ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Thank you! What is that? 

Also, any word on whether we have to be physically present starting then or if everything is online?

No idea what is yet. Here's the relevant excerpt:

1. Location: Students are expected to be at their designated sites on August 24, 2020. However, students are highly encouraged to attend in-person registration the week before the start of classes (August 17 - 21). Further details about the in-person registration will be shared as soon as the registration sessions are approved and confirmed.

Feel free to PM me, if you have other questions!

1 hour ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:
1 hour ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Hey everyone - I received an offer off the waitlist only this past week. I was wondering if there is any word on when the start date for classes are?

Desperately trying to get everything sorted and there's a lot of info I don't yet have access to!

Congratulations! If you have Facebook join this group (UBC Medicine Class of 2024):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/686057832219267/?ref=share

We’re you able to attend the zoom townhall meeting on Tuesday? Faculty and staff went over a lot about how courses will be delivered, and emphasized importance of being at your site ready for first day (August 24). I believe a recording will be emailed soon, as long as you’re receiving emails. If you’re not getting any emails yet you can contact Shirley Li. 
What site are you going to? Best of luck getting settled. 

7 hours ago, aldywood said:

We’re you able to attend the zoom townhall meeting on Tuesday? Faculty and staff went over a lot about how courses will be delivered, and emphasized importance of being at your site ready for first day (August 24). I believe a recording will be emailed soon, as long as you’re receiving emails. If you’re not getting any emails yet you can contact Shirley Li. 
What site are you going to? Best of luck getting settled. 

Thank you! No, I didn't find out until after the meeting. I'll be at VFMP! 

Regarding the emails - are they through the same email address as the one you used during the application cycle? Or do they use your new UBC email?

3 hours ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Thank you! No, I didn't find out until after the meeting. I'll be at VFMP! 

Regarding the emails - are they through the same email address as the one you used during the application cycle? Or do they use your new UBC email?

They use your old e-mail for now! And then close to when school starts, they will switch to your UBC alumni email.

5 hours ago, AgentMichaelScarn said:

Mostly still going to my old email. I think site specific ones are now going to my new alumni one

Oh that's strange, yes I'm at VFMP. It says this:

Dear Class of 2024 students,

Congratulations on being accepted into Medical School at UBC!

My name is Byron and I am the program coordinator for your Family Practice component of Clinical Experiences. I am excited to meet and work with you.

I am currently recruiting and matching preceptors for your first rotations at a Family Practice office. This will be an exciting learning time for all of you, where you will see and interact with real patients.

Some of the doctors interested in teaching your class have language preferences at their clinics (due to patients demographics). If you are interested in having a placement at a clinic whose first language is not English (and you are able to speak that language), could you kindly visit the following link and enter your info?

Language Survey (411 Term):

https://bit.ly/411language2020 (Please complete by Aug 10).

Please be assured that we will try our very best to accommodate all requests submitted via this survey. However the number of students interested in a particular placement may exceed the number of available placements, so we can't make any guarantees.

As well, due to the large number of placements we coordinate, we are very sorry that we simply cannot accommodate any switches once placements have been assigned.

I am looking forward to meeting all of you!

hello everyone! I thought someone here might have the answer to this. 

So I applied for BCStudentAid before July.31 (so that I could apply for the UBC Bursary between Aug.15 and Sept.15).

And now I've received an email about my tuition fees being due Sept.9, though I know there is a 'deferred deadline' for those who applied to BCStudentAid before July.31. Does anyone know how to apply for this deferral, or who to email to ask for it?

44 minutes ago, cam_the_cob said:

hello everyone! I thought someone here might have the answer to this. 

So I applied for BCStudentAid before July.31 (so that I could apply for the UBC Bursary between Aug.15 and Sept.15).

And now I've received an email about my tuition fees being due Sept.9, though I know there is a 'deferred deadline' for those who applied to BCStudentAid before July.31. Does anyone know how to apply for this deferral, or who to email to ask for it?

The deferral should be automatic, sometimes it doesn’t happen until close to the due date. Usually confirmation of enrollment on your loans must happen first. If it’s not deferred by the time sept 9 rolls around, email Jennifer Fong.

Mine is still pending also.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:57 PM, dr_beethoven said:

Hey is anyone else now unable to access the CBL portal?  I was able to submit my bio before the deadline a few days ago, but when I tried to access the portal yesterday evening and today, the connection has been insecure...?

I have the same issue with the connection being insecure. But you can just bypass it anyway (which is what I did) and was still able to access the CBL portal.  I have Google Chrome, and to bypass it, you just click the button that says "Advanced", and then "Proceed".

Edit: Okay never mind, I tried it again today and couldn't access it, even after clicking "Proceed"