Premed 101 Forums

Is there any evidence of an in-province advantage for residency?

Does anyone have any resources or information (either from personal experience or carms/other reports) on this topic?

For example, for someone who would like to eventually practice and/or complete their residency in Toronto, would going to an Ontario medical school (other than UofT), offer any clear advantage over going to medial school outside of Ontario (but still in Canada)? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, telus555 said:

Does anyone have any resources or information (either from personal experience or carms/other reports) on this topic?

For example, for someone who would like to eventually practice and/or complete their residency in Toronto, would going to an Ontario medical school (other than UofT), offer any clear advantage over going to medial school outside of Ontario (but still in Canada)? 

I heard home school advantage is a real thing. But maybe not province advantage. The only thing I can think of is that it's easier to do electives and observerships in nearby in-province schools will help in eventually matching there. But otherwise, provincial advantage is less significant than home school advantage

On 5/31/2020 at 7:46 PM, telus555 said:

In a very subtle way there is. Mainly it is related to the provincial movement and closeness of the schools. Generally speaking, the amount of movement within province is much greater so it is more likely that one school's faculty recognize or have worked with another school's faculty if they went to another in province school. Additionally, geographical proximity often means its easier to arrange an observership or elective and it is easier to sell that you really want to stay in province during CaRMS interviews (its generally more believable). But even all these factors combined would only be a minor factor and so I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are looking for a reason to choose an Ontario med school over an out of province one, I think this could be a reason.