Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Grad Match Statistics

Hey, looking for some hope as a Canadian student hoping to specialize. From the 2019 "Combined Phase I & II Statistics for Applicants" (https://natmatch.com/dentres/statistics.html) the proportion of Canadian grads that actually match seem incredibly low - almost unrealistically and discouragingly low.

For instance, for the 230 OMS spots available, 2 Canadian grads matched or for the 294 Ped spots, 4 Canadian grads matched. Is there some hidden factor or hidden statistics that I"m unaware of? Seems nearly impossible!

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.03.07 PM.png

12 hours ago, westcoastbestcoast said:

Hey, looking for some hope as a Canadian student hoping to specialize. From the 2019 "Combined Phase I & II Statistics for Applicants" (https://natmatch.com/dentres/statistics.html) the proportion of Canadian grads that actually match seem incredibly low - almost unrealistically and discouragingly low.

For instance, for the 230 OMS spots available, 2 Canadian grads matched or for the 294 Ped spots, 4 Canadian grads matched. Is there some hidden factor or hidden statistics that I"m unaware of? Seems nearly impossible!

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.03.07 PM.png

It varies year to year...Canadian programs as far as I know don't participate in this all the time. This is mostly for American programs, which from a historical perspective vary year from year as to how many Canadians are accepted. The stats from previous years are there, so more students from Canada can match to OMS than other years. But yes, Canadians are at a disadvantage to match to specialities in the US, but don't be discouraged. Get a high class rank, score high on the OMS exam (NDBE?) and you can get an interview with good externship experience. The other path I've heard is to marry a US citizen, get a green card and become a local student for the process. Saves you the hurdle of being in the non-US category