Premed 101 Forums

Best credit card for Canadian medical students

You may just be able to get it with the preferred student package. If you are trying to get a credit card and checking account, why not just move or open you LOC with scotia. Even if you don't need it, it's worth getting as emergencies may come up in the future. 

Scotia will give you there infinite passport visa and gold amex for free with a combined limit of 10K. I believe those have been rated the best travel cards in Canada (points can be used for any travel related expenses after the fact. Used a ton during carms). If you have income, they may let you get the infinite momentum but I doubt that fee will get waived

1 hour ago, DocBrown95 said:

You may just be able to get it with the preferred student package. If you are trying to get a credit card and checking account, why not just move or open you LOC with scotia. Even if you don't need it, it's worth getting as emergencies may come up in the future. 

Scotia will give you there infinite passport visa and gold amex for free with a combined limit of 10K. I believe those have been rated the best travel cards in Canada (points can be used for any travel related expenses after the fact. Used a ton during carms). If you have income, they may let you get the infinite momentum but I doubt that fee will get waived

I've heard some people in the past were able to get infinite momentum. Has anybody been able to this year ?

12 hours ago, dooogs said:

I've heard some people in the past were able to get infinite momentum. Has anybody been able to this year ?

My Scotia advisor gave it to me free of charge for the 1st year and implied the he would be able to keep it that way for the following years. I'm in my second year now and the advisor's changed and that deal went out the window. I know everyone says Scotia on these forums, but so far I've been underwhelmed by their service for this and other reasons.

Just now, TheSalmonMousse said:

My Scotia advisor gave it to me free of charge for the 1st year and implied the he would be able to keep it that way for the following years. I'm in my second year now and the advisor's changed and that deal went out the window. I know everyone says Scotia on these forums, but so far I've been underwhelmed by their service for this and other reasons.

that sucks. :/

I have the momentum infinite, which comes with a “free first year,” but you have to pay for it every year after that, even with the medical student LOC. The cash back is worth it, and I prefer it to any points-based system.

11 minutes ago, dh. said:

I have the momentum infinite, which comes with a “free first year,” but you have to pay for it every year after that, even with the medical student LOC. The cash back is worth it, and I prefer it to any points-based system.

As a medical student, if you're paying for a yearly fee, you're doing it wrong.  You should be able to get most premium credits from your bank with your LOC, waived for all years of medical school, and often during residency as well.  

10 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

As a medical student, if you're paying for a yearly fee, you're doing it wrong.  You should be able to get most premium credits from your bank with your LOC, waived for all years of medical school, and often during residency as well.  

The cash back structure of the Momentum Infinite, even with the annual fee, is still a better deal for me and my card utilization than the rate of return via travel points with the Passport (or any other Scotia/RBC card I’ve found). I was told in no uncertain terms that this card could not be offered for free as part of the LOC.

20 minutes ago, dh. said:

The cash back structure of the Momentum Infinite, even with the annual fee, is still a better deal for me and my card utilization than the rate of return via travel points with the Passport (or any other Scotia/RBC card I’ve found). I was told in no uncertain terms that this card could not be offered for free as part of the LOC.

I am sorry your advisor wouldn't do so, I have had both cards for years - and as do my colleagues :)    No fee, indefinitely as long as I hold the LOC after residency.    Definitely worth asking a different advisor! 

5 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

I am sorry your advisor wouldn't do so, I have had both cards for years - and as do my colleagues :)    No fee, indefinitely as long as I hold the LOC after residency.    Definitely worth asking a different advisor! 

I’ll have to see what I can do! Thanks!

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

No problem, things are always changing with banks, and different advisors are sometimes willing to do different things to keep medical trainee clients happy, to extract as much as possible in the long run :) 

Do you have a suggestion of a good advisor? PM if you're more comfortable.

Would be super grateful :p