Premed 101 Forums

Low gpa, high mcat. Any options in Canada?

So basically, I'm in what looks to be a rare, and extremely terrible situation. Essentially, my cGPA at UofT is extremely low (3.1). I had a terrible first year in a specialized math program (like 1.3 terrible), then switched into STEM after taking a gap year. I just didn't take schooling seriously at the time, was going through some stuff. When I came back I started to take things a bit more seriously and got annual GPAs of 3.2, 3.5 and 3.3 for my 1st, 2nd and 3rd years in STEM (1st and 2nd weren't full course loads, since a couple of my classes from my real first year counted towards my new programs). At this point I really lacked any aspirations for the future, really didn't think I wanted to do anything with my degree, and so I never really applied myself. Really kicking myself for this now.

Between my 3rd and 4th year of STEM, I did a summer program with a doctor on a bit of a whim and developed something of a passion for the medical field. It was the first time in my life that I'd found something that I really wanted to do. I came back into 4th year and made a perfect 4.0 on OSMAS scale (90%+ at UofT) in all science courses on a full course load. I then wrote the MCAT and scored a 526 (132/132/131/131).

So my question is, do I have any chance at any Canadian medical schools, or will my application be thrown out before they even look at any aspect of it? and if not, are there any other feasible options for me (outside of the country)?

3 hours ago, plane-definition said:

I came back into 4th year and made a perfect 4.0 on OSMAS scale (90%+ at UofT) in all science courses on a full course load. I then wrote the MCAT and scored a 526 (132/132/131/131).

Take another full-time year(which would be your 6th year it seems) of undergraduate and get a 4.0, then apply to Western and Queens(best two year and more recent two year), McMaster(high cars can offset your GPA but you'll need a strong Casper too), Sask if your overall average can somehow squeek past 85%(unlikely, but if you can get it past this mark...you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Sask due to your MCAT).

Then if you can afford it, apply to the US. If you have solid life experience and explain your poor start to university(you said you went through "some stuff), or at least can spend some time working on it from a non-academic perspective, a 4.0 in your most recent 2 years of full-time science coursework, with strong upward trend, and a 526 MCAT might open some doors up for you for USMD and definitely USDO.  

34 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Take another full-time year(which would be your 6th year it seems) of undergraduate and get a 4.0, then apply to Western and Queens(best two year and more recent two year), McMaster(high cars can offset your GPA but you'll need a strong Casper too), Sask if your overall average can somehow squeek past 85%(unlikely, but if you can get it past this mark...you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Sask due to your MCAT).

Then if you can afford it, apply to the US. If you have solid life experience and explain your poor start to university(you said you went through "some stuff), or at least can spend some time working on it from a non-academic perspective, a 4.0 in your most recent 2 years of full-time science coursework, with strong upward trend, and a 526 MCAT might open some doors up for you for USMD and definitely USDO.  

Thanks for the input! I'm just hoping its not too late to enrol in non degree studies for this year, otherwise I'm looking at 2 years until I can even apply. Also wanting to confirm that schools will actually look at this just like any other year of undergrad

7 minutes ago, plane-definition said:

Thanks for the input! I'm just hoping its not too late to enrol in non degree studies for this year, otherwise I'm looking at 2 years until I can even apply. Also wanting to confirm that schools will actually look at this just like any other year of undergrad

Email them and ask directly. And make sure you read the websites of the schools listed for the most up-to-date information, and ensure what you do adheres to their requirements. You don't have room for mistakes in interpreting the requirements.

1 minute ago, JohnGrisham said:

Email them and ask directly. And make sure you read the websites of the schools listed for the most up-to-date information, and ensure what you do adheres to their requirements. You don't have room for mistakes in interpreting the requirements.

Yeah that's what I've done, not expecting a reply any time soon though considering the swarm of covid emails they're probably getting from recent admissions. I think as you said though, my main shot is with queens and western. And perhaps ottawa as well