Premed 101 Forums

Rewrite MCAT??

Your CARS score is not great but also not horrible. I would advise that if you can, work on improving other parts of your application (ex: GPA if you're still in school). GPA and ECs make up a much greater portion of your pre-MMI score, and will likely make the difference between getting an interview or not (as 126 CARS is only a little below average, and won't be what prevents you from being competitive). Also, CARS is one of those fickle things where, unlike the other sections, more effort or rewriting doesn't always translate to a better score. 

Ultimately, rewriting isn't the worst idea ever, but I think the three-months spent studying full-time for the MCAT could probably be applied elsewhere in your application to a much greater benefit.

9 hours ago, Neuro_bertagirl said:

Hey everyone! I got a 513 (129/126/128/130) on my first MCAT attempt. I'm IP for Alberta and my cGPA is ~3.8. I'm considering rewriting mostly because of my CARS score. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to rewrite? I just want to make my application a bit more competitive. 

I'd say do some cars practice to see if you would be able to improve your score. If you think you can, rewrite the exam. Your overall scores and gpa are pretty good though.

For context, I got in with 505 MCAT (127 CARS) and a 3.5 gpa. But I had to work really hard to make up for those two!

On 6/5/2020 at 9:28 AM, Hopefullythistime said:

I'd say do some cars practice to see if you would be able to improve your score. If you think you can, rewrite the exam. Your overall scores and gpa are pretty good though.

For context, I got in with 505 MCAT (127 CARS) and a 3.5 gpa. But I had to work really hard to make up for those two!

What did you do to make up for that if you don't mind me asking?

On 6/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, Med2be said:

Someone I know got into U of C with a 490 and 124 so you're great!

its difficult to know the meaning of this because you are blind to the admission results in your specific instance. Ei, were you a special admit under the alternative admissions pathway because in some important way you were identified by the admissions committee. 

I would recommend re-writing. The spread in CARS scores is greater than spread in GPA. You potentially have more points to earn by increasing your CARS score than your overall GPA, with probably considerably less work. Of course, it can be argued that CARS is traditionally the hardest score to improve so YMMV