Premed 101 Forums

wasting the summer?

deedee908

8 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Summer is never wasted. Throughout med school, summer was strictly for relaxation. I now will need to wait until retirement to do this again, so take full advantage of your summers for R&R.

look at CME events in locations like Cape Cod, east coast, west coast and plan a vacation around these venues so it can be a business expense. You can still get a piece of summer vacation while getting CME. This is what I have done and it sure helps to make something out of the summer.  I went to Cape Cod last summer for a course and I felt so rejuvenated. I would have done it again this summer and was booked for it but due to Covid my family and I are not going. Awesome news that you are almost done this post grad journey. :)

34 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Summer is never wasted. Throughout med school, summer was strictly for relaxation. I now will need to wait until retirement to do this again, so take full advantage of your summers for R&R.

I interpreted more as wasted because of a lot of social events and travelling cancelled ;(

2 hours ago, dooogs said:

I interpreted more as wasted because of a lot of social events and travelling cancelled ;(

I see it as both tbh :( Saddened to not be able to do the internships I wouldve wanted to do (and lets be honest, good to add to your resume/CV) but also feel a bit disappointed to not be able to have much fun, go to restaurants... But this is true for anyone, med student or not. 

16 hours ago, Bambi said:

Everyone out there saying ''relax because you'll never get to relax again'' and I'm here doing research like crazy to get as much done as I can before August x) why did I choose this life hahaha

20 hours ago, deedee908 said:

Any incoming first year medical students feel like they're wasting their final summer of freedom? How are people spending their time while being conscious of social distancing/covid-19 implications?

Well idk if it help,s but my mom bought me this colouring book and I find it fun & instructive as well :P (yes, I'm a total nerd) https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-4th/dp/0321832019/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2H9M380BRAYKB&dchild=1&keywords=anatomy+coloring+book&qid=1591537289&sprefix=anatomy+%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1

I don't know what you're already doing, but you could also see your friends outside from a 2 meters distance, read a book, play video games, work out and get in shape (take zoom classes and try something new!), cook... if I had nothing to do, I would definitely volunteer for the closest hospital, but maybe you live with someone who's at risk and it that case I would not recommend of course.