Premed 101 Forums

Is it okay to follow your preceptors on social media ( e.g. twitter)?

I think if your social media accounts are professional accounts, and not personal accounts, it's fine.  I follow preceptors on Twitter where I keep it medicine-related and professional, but I wouldn't add them on Facebook, where I share my recipes, have people wish me Happy Birthday, my grandmother writes on my wall, etc. lol.

I never did in medical school or junior residency.  Once I got to be a senior resident, I ended up having a few former supervisors as FB friends (my personal FB account).  In almost all cases, they added me, though I think I added them on a couple of occasions.  The lines get to be a bit blurrier once you get closer to being staff.

I think as a medical student it would be reasonable to follow their professional twitter account but probably a bit weird to add them on facebook or follow their personal account.

• 3 years later...

I think it's totally fine to follow your preceptors on social media, especially if you've worked closely with them on research and electives. It can be a great way to stay connected and learn from their insights. Besides, it seems like everyone's on social media these days, right? They probably use it to reach more people and share their knowledge.
Managing multiple accounts can be a bit tricky, but I recently stumbled upon this cool tool called the best SMM panel, and it's been super handy in streamlining my social media game. So, if you're ever juggling multiple accounts, you might want to check it out!
In the end, just follow your instincts and respect their boundaries. Social media can be a valuable platform for learning and networking!

• 1 month later...