Premed 101 Forums

Honestly you can do whatever you want. I know people who did all of their electives at the home school and got their top choice (even if it was another school). Just do whatever you enjoy and have fun with med school. Even in Toronto/Vancouver there are people who are backing up into FM who match to them. If you actually want family you'll match to your top choice university (some community sites you might not match to due to small program size). 

The only exception to this is if you're open to doing other specialties it might be worthwhile to do some research during the summer but if you're deadset on family then don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AS2020 said:

Do you still have great chances to match in FM if you rank it #2 and you are not chosen in your #1 choice ? I will study in a Quebec French school, by the way (and want to do my residency there too). I am not familiar with the CARMs algorithm... 

To answer this, yes you have the exact same chance regardless of what order you rank in, as long as you were declined by the programs above it on your rank list. There are no games to be played with the carms algorithm, rank things solely based on your preference.

As for the initial question, lots of my friends matched to FM in Toronto (mind you I went to U of T) with no research, no major "leadership" ECs in med school, and no gunning of any kind. Similar situation for matching to Vancouver FM from Toronto. You can do whatever you want (including exclusively doing things you think are fun like joining the school play or doing intramurals) and be confident that as long as you're competent and not a terror to work with, you'll match without any issues. 

19 hours ago, AS2020 said:

Do you still have great chances to match in FM if you rank it #2 and you are not chosen in your #1 choice ? I will study in a Quebec French school, by the way (and want to do my residency there too). I am not familiar with the CARMs algorithm... 

To not match to FM in Quebec, you'd have to actively try not to considering the amount of leftover spots every year.

Hopefully that doesn't change with the increase to the medical school spots recently announced.

3 hours ago, Snowmen said:

To not match to FM in Quebec, you'd have to actively try not to considering the amount of leftover spots every year.

Hopefully that doesn't change with the increase to the medical school spots recently announced.

4 hours ago, Galaxsci said:

To answer this, yes you have the exact same chance regardless of what order you rank in, as long as you were declined by the programs above it on your rank list. There are no games to be played with the carms algorithm, rank things solely based on your preference.

As for the initial question, lots of my friends matched to FM in Toronto (mind you I went to U of T) with no research, no major "leadership" ECs in med school, and no gunning of any kind. Similar situation for matching to Vancouver FM from Toronto. You can do whatever you want (including exclusively doing things you think are fun like joining the school play or doing intramurals) and be confident that as long as you're competent and not a terror to work with, you'll match without any issues. 

Thank you!! So if I put FM in my choices, whatever the ranking, I have almost 100% chances to be matched that year in Quebec even if I don't match in any other specialties right ?

On 6/20/2020 at 2:12 PM, AS2020 said:

Thank you!! So if I put FM in my choices, whatever the ranking, I have almost 100% chances to be matched that year in Quebec even if I don't match in any other specialties right ?

Pretty much, yeah. If the trends stay consistent, based on the number of empty spots in FM in Quebec in previous years after the first round, for you to not match, the programs would have to actively choose to have an unfilled seat over taking you.