Premed 101 Forums

Changes to Admission Requirements 2020-2021

9 hours ago, yeescience said:

In some cases, the admissions committee may apply weighting based on the years where you were full course load. 

Thoughts?

My understanding of this is that you would still be assessed based on all 4 years, but that the weighting (removal of the 2 credits) could only be applied to the years where you actually had a full course load (assuming your AEE goes through)... I don’t think it allows you to discount a whole year plus extra credits. I think this part is unchanged from the previous policy?

That said, while I like the ability to use summer courses and the closing of the loophole where people just do like a 6 year undergrad to remove a bunch of courses, I don’t support this change as a whole. I agree that those who are not traditional applicants are more harmed by this than helped.

12 minutes ago, TheFlyGuy said:

My understanding of this is that you would still be assessed based on all 4 years, but that the weighting (removal of the 2 credits) could only be applied to the years where you actually had a full course load (assuming your AEE goes through)... I don’t think it allows you to discount a whole year plus extra credits. I think this part is unchanged from the previous policy?

That said, while I like the ability to use summer courses and the closing of the loophole where people just do like a 6 year undergrad to remove a bunch of courses, I don’t support this change as a whole. I agree that those who are not traditional applicants are more harmed by this than helped.

Thanks! Ya makes more sense. I think I was trying to read too hard on how this wGPA calc. evens the playing field for students that experienced hardships like low SES. 

Has anyone done a second undergrad or know of someone who has, where they had a very big GPA difference and gotten accepted (very low in first undergrad and very high in the second)?

2 hours ago, yeescience said:

Thanks! Ya makes more sense. I think I was trying to read too hard on how this wGPA calc. evens the playing field for students that experienced hardships like low SES. 

Has anyone done a second undergrad or know of someone who has, where they had a very big GPA difference and gotten accepted (very low in first undergrad and very high in the second)?

Yeah I don't really understand it either... counting the summer courses I get, but this seems like a bit of a misdirected way to help low SES students otherwise. Hopefully part 3 makes it all make a little more sense. 

Also I do know a few people who fit the bill with a second undergrad (though I'm not sure what you consider a very low gpa); it's time consuming but not at all an impossible path if you're committed to med

We received very good questions during the session. As promised, we are sharing the frequently asked questions and our answers at the following link: https://applymd.utoronto.ca/faq/frequently-asked-questions-admissions

You can access the recording for the live session at the following link:

https://applymd.utoronto.ca/application-tips

Please continue to monitor our website for updates and future Admissions live sessions.

Webinar vod link for anyone that missed it.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:56 PM, Anon1 said:

I'm thinking that statistic was unweighted/cumulative GPA?

I'm thinking the average was based on how each applicant was assessed, whether it was as wGPA or cGPA. So during the initial file screening, they would have determined whether you qualify for the wGPA or will be assessed based on your cGPA. Then based on whichever GPA they decided for each applicant, they would determine the average. If a good number of applicants that were accepted were graduates with lower GPAs (since they only require a 3.0/4.0), the average may have been lower.

EDIT: I was mistaken - The stats they posted were raw gpas.

2 hours ago, med97 said:

They explicitly mention it's raw gpa.

Holy. That's insane - 3.89 raw GPA average. I'm pretty sure the wGPA average was again in 3.96 range. I think they were embarrassed at how high the average weighted GPAs were this cycle, so they didn't disclose it. Misleading. The GPA average didn't go down, nor do I believe the process is getting more holistic at UofT. They've ALWAYS reported average wGPAs in the past. 

Getting really discouraged at this point. 

34 minutes ago, scoobydoo1623 said:

Holy. That's insane - 3.89 raw GPA average. I'm pretty sure the wGPA average was again in 3.96 range. I think they were embarrassed at how high the average weighted GPAs were this cycle, so they didn't disclose it. Misleading. The GPA average didn't go down, nor do I believe the process is getting more holistic at UofT. They've ALWAYS reported average wGPAs in the past. 

Getting really discouraged at this point. 

UofT has never been truly holistic since they don't consider ABS/BPE's unless you pass the cycle's GPA cutoff. If anything, the raw GPA stat gives us an idea of how the GPA of the next admitted class will look like... probably at least 3.9 :lol:.

8 minutes ago, Medfool25 said:

UofT has never been truly holistic since they don't consider ABS/BPE's unless you pass the cycle's GPA cutoff. If anything, the raw GPA stat gives us an idea of how the GPA of the next admitted class will look like... probably at least 3.9 :lol:.

Very true! I guess this upcoming cycle, raw GPA ~= wGPA. lol 

This recap is the first time I heard that they have a cutoff GPA for every cycle (sorry I guess it's my lack of information). Well that's discouraging.

Anyone has an idea what the usual cutoff is? And are there separate cutoffs for undergrad and grad applicants?

----------

Edit: I found the answer for the latter part in this post. Seems that there are separate cut offs for undergrad and grad applicants.

Edited by not me
New information for a question I asked

• 2 weeks later...