Premed 101 Forums

Buying index funds with LOC

7 hours ago, brattatat said:

Would it be prudent to invest like 30k of my LOC at the prime -0.25 rate (Scotia) into index funds? Would I be making more money overtime or would the interest end up costing more than the return on investment? If any resident/physician has done this in their time, would be great if I could get some information.

People did this in 1929 and when they were sold out due to their ins ility to make margin calls, these people jumped out of Windows and left their families in ruin. It is not wise unless you are prepared to lose every penny. Historically, doctors have been poor investors. 

15 hours ago, klamar said:

I don't know your financial situation of course but fundamentally there is no real difference between

1. taking money from a LOC to invest in equities

and

2. choosing not to pay off LOC with earned cash, and instead investing that earned cash in to equities

The difference is I could lose my entire portfolio tomorrow and my ability to pay for the remainder of school and expenses through residency is unaffected. 

My portfolio is relatively low risk, which is the kind of distribution I recommend to friends and family. Almost everyone who day trades loses money, make no mistake about it. Anyone reading this: if you try to time market swings, you will lose money, 100%, I guarantee it.