Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation Confusion (2020-2021 Application Cycle)

Hey Everyone! 

I was hoping someone would be able to help me better understand the following snippet from the GPA calculation for applicants entering their final year. 

"Winter 2018 (the most recent courses with the highest grades will be used to make up a total of 60 credit hours)"

I'm having difficulty understanding what Dal means when they say they're going to include the highest grades. Since Fall 2018-Fall 2019 takes up 45 credit hours I don't understand why Winter 2018 states that the highest grades will be used. Wouldn't all 5 courses taken need to be accounted for in order to fulfill the 60 credit hours? 

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm thinking they may have used that verbiage to provide clarification for those who had been taking multi-term courses. For example, for a 15 unit thesis that runs between two semesters, you don't get your grade until the end of the Winter term. So, on top of your 15 unit thesis, if you took 2 courses in the Fall semester and 3 courses in the Winter semester, you would technically be receiving grades for 24 units in the Winter semester. If this were the case, your most recent and highest grades would be used to make up the total of 60 credit hours.

That's what I'm thinking, but definitely worth clarifying with admissions!