Premed 101 Forums

How does a 5th year work?

Hi,

I am a non trad considering med school. I am IP for UBC. I did my undergrad 10+ years ago with a combo of Canadian university (first two years) then I finished in the UK at a distance university while working full time in the government. As a result my GPA is kinda wonky and hard to calculate.

First three semesters at university in Canada I had a 3.7gpa. 

I then switched to another Canadian university and did really poorly, failed two classes, two D's, 1 C. I straight up failed Chemistry because I fainted mid exam and couldn't finish and they didn't let me rewrite it. First 3 semesters of chemistry I did really well in.

Returned to the UK and finished my science degree via distance education which I believe converts to Canadian degrees as a 3 year. I did ok but not stellar. 

I can't drop my worst year because then I won't have 90 credits. So how does a 5th year work, is this even an option if I have already graduated years ago? Can I do a 5th year via distance education again considering I have a career and a family now? Or do I try and do another undergrad and use as many credits as I can to transfer to a new undergrad?

I understand UBC doesn't give admissions guidance so I am looking to you folks to see if you have gleaned any info that may be relevant. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, theUBCmedhopeful said:

If you're a non-trad, it'll be your ECs that'll carry you (assuming you have a lot of diverse and unique experiences). I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA as long as you are above 80+.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

I think my gpa is under 80% that's why I'm considering a 5th year if that's possible. I still need to do my english requirements but I'm unsure if the scores from those would even count in the gpa requirements if I already have a degree.

I do have diverse and longterm ECs so yes I'm hoping those will really help!

Thanks. 

I did my undergraduate degree over 5 years because I was working full time and could only take 4 courses per term. I had an academic explanation for some lower grades in second year. I also completed a masters and took a few GPA boosting undergraduate classes after graduating from my undergrad. I was accepted this year with a GPA in the low 80s and extensive ECs that definitely carried my score. I don't think that the time over which my schooling spanned had any affect on my acceptance, but the ECs I gained during the process definitely did. If I were you, I would take some GPA boosters to try and increase your AQ score while continuing to enrich your NAQ section.

Basically, I think that if you have the opportunity to pick up some extra courses, it could only help your chances!

Good luck :)

16 minutes ago, acceptmeplease said:

I did my undergraduate degree over 5 years because I was working full time and could only take 4 courses per term. I had an academic explanation for some lower grades in second year. I also completed a masters and took a few GPA boosting undergraduate classes after graduating from my undergrad. I was accepted this year with a GPA in the low 80s and extensive ECs that definitely carried my score. I don't think that the time over which my schooling spanned had any affect on my acceptance, but the ECs I gained during the process definitely did. If I were you, I would take some GPA boosters to try and increase your AQ score while continuing to enrich your NAQ section.

Basically, I think that if you have the opportunity to pick up some extra courses, it could only help your chances!

Good luck :)

Congratulations that is a fantastic achievement! What was your mcat scores and ECs if you don't mind me asking? 

So undergrad classes post BSc degree will contribute to my overall gpa then, that's good to hear. 

My MCAT was a 517 with a 128 in CARS, if I remember correctly! My ECs included 3 publications (1 1st author, 1 2nd author),  10 conference presentations, 5 years of research work (including my Masters thesis), international sports competitions, hospital volunteer work, TA jobs, etc. I did a lot of rewrites on my entries to make them describe how I felt and what I learnt.