Premed 101 Forums

UBC Program Structure Flexibility

I am wondering if anyone here has any insights into the structure and flexibility of UBCs program across the different sites? Are students required to attend lectures? How many days a week do you need to be on campus? Are clerkships all within driving distance of the site location? Are you required to travel and move around for 3/4 year? For students with children or are pregnant, what does UBC offer in terms of leave and child care? 

I am planning on applying this year (and next, etc.) and am a  non-trad female who would be beginning medical school right when I would also be planning on thinking about starting a family. I do not think it is outside the range of possibility that I would be having my first child in 3rd or 4th year. I am in a committed relationship and we are also considering buying a house in the next year or so etc. 

Specifically, I currently live in the Fraser Valley, near Chilliwack. I am more interested in rural medicine, but would rank VFMP as my first choice if I was only required to be on campus 1-2 days a week (its a long commute to UBC..) and I see they offer a 3rd year integrated clerkship in Chilliwack. I also have family on the island and near Kelowna, so would be willing to move if I did get into those sites and would rather live in Victoria/Kelowna than any closer to Vancouver than I already do :) 

I guess what I am generally curious about is what are the requirements and differences between the years and sites -- I am still new to this and not that familiar with what clerkship year really looks like!

Thanks!

@Happpy I haven't actually started classes yet, but from what I've gathered:

• Year 1, your Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are at the UBC Vancouver campus with classes starting at 8am. Tues/Thurs are at the Vancouver General Hospital site, also starting early I assume. I know most lectures are recorded and viewable online, but UBC does have the case-based learning (CBL) which is smaller groups, and COVID-19 notwithstanding, you would be expected to be there in person. 
    • Ultimately, plan to be on campus (or at VGH) pretty often. Opinion: making the commute to the UBC campus sounds like it would be draining, particularly with any traffic. 10/10 would recommend moving for a shorter commute.
  • I do believe any clinical experience in 1st/2nd year are all within driving/transit distance of your site; and clerkship (clinical rotations, not the integrated one listed on their site) look like they may require more of a variable commute.
  • Opinion: I think if you're interested in rural medicine, you should not choose the VFMP site (and instead fill out the rural suitability portion): candidates with good rural suitability are sometimes prioritised by the admissions committee over us big-city folks. Plus, the added benefit of family in those sites (and a smaller class size and teaching that's more preparatory for rural medicine)
  • I know nothing about pregnancy in the program, but maybe this document will help answer some of your questions: https://mednet.med.ubc.ca/AboutUs/PoliciesAndGuidelines/Policies Guidelines/Scheduling Medical Students in Required Clinical Learning Experiences (010).pdf

5 minutes ago, HongHongHong said:

• Year 1, your Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are at the UBC Vancouver campus with classes starting at 8am. Tues/Thurs are at the Vancouver General Hospital site, also starting early I assume. I know most lectures are recorded and viewable online, but UBC does have the case-based learning (CBL) which is smaller groups, and COVID-19 notwithstanding, you would be expected to be there in person. 
    • Ultimately, plan to be on campus (or at VGH) pretty often. Opinion: making the commute to the UBC campus sounds like it would be draining, particularly with any traffic. 10/10 would recommend moving for a shorter commute.
  • I do believe any clinical experience in 1st/2nd year are all within driving/transit distance of your site; and clerkship (clinical rotations, not the integrated one listed on their site) look like they may require more of a variable commute.
  • Opinion: I think if you're interested in rural medicine, you should not choose the VFMP site (and instead fill out the rural suitability portion): candidates with good rural suitability are sometimes prioritised by the admissions committee over us big-city folks. Plus, the added benefit of family in those sites (and a smaller class size and teaching that's more preparatory for rural medicine)
  • I know nothing about pregnancy in the program, but maybe this document will help answer some of your questions: https://mednet.med.ubc.ca/AboutUs/PoliciesAndGuidelines/Policies Guidelines/Scheduling Medical Students in Required Clinical Learning Experiences (010).pdf

If I remember correctly, mornings are free on Tuesday and possibly Thursday (or maybe vice versa).

16 hours ago, HongHongHong said:

@youbesee even in first year? Damn, sign me up!

On 6/11/2020 at 7:34 PM, HongHongHong said:

On 6/11/2020 at 7:41 PM, youbesee said:

If I remember correctly, mornings are free on Tuesday and possibly Thursday (or maybe vice versa).

Tuesday and Thursday AMs are always free. The only exception is when there is a Monday statutory holiday. In such a case, they usually end up squeezing the missed lectures into the Tuesday morning.

Tuesday and Thursday PMs are usually filled with communication skills, clinical skills, or family practice visits/seminars/lectures. The schedules vary from person to person. Depending on the group/individual schedule, you could be placed at LSC (UBC), VGH, BC Children's, or even St Paul's. 

Also, there will almost always be several free Tuesday/Thursdays once your family practice visits are completed (if you're scheduled for a visit in the first place; there is a very small minority of people who end up not matched to one...) or once your FP seminars/lectures are completed.

Edit: Tuesday and Thursday AMs are obviously also not free during the first two intro weeks lol