Premed 101 Forums

36 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

I have seen a document here and there for some schools...but can someone direct me to where I can find what graduating medical students of each medical school match to (or at least one medical school if you have the data)?

Not sure if there is a centralized document for all schools together in once place (feel free to correct me if I am wrong!), but I know there is data for individual schools here and there. For example, UofC posts their data on their website: https://cumming.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/about/governance/national-ranking-outcome-measures. I think the latest data is for 2019, and they (understandably) haven't gotten to updating the most recent match. 

Looking at CaRMS can also be useful, because they have match data that shows the number of students that ranked FM as their first choice speciality from each med school. This doesn't tell you where they matched I guess, but it can give you an idea of the relative interest at each school in FM vs. other specialities (and I'm guessing most people that rank FM first will match too).

Carms publishes reports that show which specialties people match to from each school. They also show you what percentage of students at which school got their preferred specialty. Neither is a perfect marker of how well a school does. For example u of t typically has a lower matched to first choice stat but there's also less people going for family at u of t so that skews it. 

11 hours ago, DocBrown9 said:

Carms publishes reports that show which specialties people match to from each school. They also show you what percentage of students at which school got their preferred specialty. Neither is a perfect marker of how well a school does. For example u of t typically has a lower matched to first choice stat but there's also less people going for family at u of t so that skews it. 

Can someone post such table's number or the link to that data? I have been able to find every other piece of data except this specific one... 

I couldn't find a a report that says that "Western graduates 5 EM, 40 FM, Queens graduates 3 EM, 20 FM, etc..." but you can view the first choice discipline of CMGs by school and then compare it to the data on how many get their first choice discipline. Since the big Ontario schools are at 90+% first choice it should track fairly closely. 

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl34e.pdf

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl16e.pdf

16 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

ok so I just used the 2019 year to compare what the first choice specialties were for UofC graduating medical students (159 students) and what they actually matched to after both rounds of CaRMS thanks to the data given by the two users above.  

Notable findings:

For the three most competitive specialties:

6 students marked Optho as their first choice, but only 1 matched to it

3 students marked Derm as their first choice, but only 1 matched to it

3 students marked Plastic Surgery as their first choice, but only 1 matched to it

For the three most popular specialties:

43 people marked FM as their first choice, but 63 matched to it 

25 people marked IM as their first choice, and 25 matched to it 

12 people marked Peds as their first choice, and 12 matched to it

Takeaways: 

If you put FM/IM as your first choice, you have close to 100% chance of matching 

You probably also have a 90%+ chance to match to peds (unless many of those peds matches were people backing up with peds which I doubt)

You can gun for Derm/Optho/Plastics but still face a 33% chance of getting those specialities at best (scary af lol)

Sorry which table shows these numbers ?

Interesting, good find! I do wonder what influence having a class that could include both French and English matches has (probably a net positive?). 

Here's how it stacks up:

For the most competitive specialties (assuming that everyone ranked it first as a discipline):

8 students marked Rads as their first choice, 7 matched to it. 

6 students marked Optho as their first choice, but only 2 matched to it. 

10 students marked Anesthesiology as their first choice, and 8 matched to it. 

0 students marked Derm as their first choice, and no surprise, 0 matched to it. 

3 students marked Plastic Surgery as their first choice, and 3 matched to it

For the three most popular specialties previously mentioned:

55 people marked FM as their first choice, but 67 matched to it 

19 people marked IM as their first choice, and 19 matched to it 

3 people marked Peds as their first choice, and 3 matched to it. 

3 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Interesting, but to be fair, both Western and Dal had worse outcomes for people getting their first choice discipline that year (in R1 admittedly) and the % fluctuates. Just because Memorial had the highest doesn't mean anything on it's own:

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019_r1_tbl16e.pdf

Ya but you gotta admit MUN kids are beauties. They are just amazingly easy to get a long with and are usually very 'engaged' at socials.

22 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

Interesting, good find! I do wonder what influence having a class that could include both French and English matches has (probably a net positive?). 

Here's how it stacks up:

For the most competitive specialties (assuming that everyone ranked it first as a discipline):

8 students marked Rads as their first choice, 7 matched to it. 

6 students marked Optho as their first choice, but only 2 matched to it. 

10 students marked Anesthesiology as their first choice, and 8 matched to it. 

0 students marked Derm as their first choice, and no surprise, 0 matched to it. 

3 students marked Plastic Surgery as their first choice, and 3 matched to it

For the three most popular specialties previously mentioned:

55 people marked FM as their first choice, but 67 matched to it 

19 people marked IM as their first choice, and 19 matched to it 

3 people marked Peds as their first choice, and 3 matched to it. 

This is just for optho... You can't typically compare grad list and carms stats. Lots of people in optho fellowships applying and matching so that's skews the number from school applying (those kids would have graduated the year before). Basically optho is competitve af 

2 hours ago, DocBrown9 said:

This is just for optho... You can't typically compare grad list and carms stats. Lots of people in optho fellowships applying and matching so that's skews the number from school applying (those kids would have graduated the year before). Basically optho is competitve af 

There's plenty of year to year variability too. 2019 Ottawa had 3/4 match to ophtho with the unmatched guy doing a fellowship and matching the next year, also had 3 derm and 2 plastics. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, offmychestplease said:

25 people marked IM as their first choice, and 25 matched to it 

12 people marked Peds as their first choice, and 12 matched to it

Takeaways: 

If you put FM/IM as your first choice, you have close to 100% chance of matching

I would be hesitant to have this be your takehome message. IM and Peds are not uncommon backups for the super competitive specialties. If you look at CMG carms stats for the same year across the board, for peds at least, which I'm most familiar with, 187 ranked peds as their first choice and 127 matched, which is only a 68% match rate. It seems Calgary is either a great school or had a lucky year (or both!) but it can't really be extrapolated to the country as a whole. (To be fair the same data for IM shows a 97% match rate so that's a potentially reasonable assumption.)