Premed 101 Forums

Effect of CEGEP redo prereq failure... after having already passed?

AB2

Hi

I am currently enrolled in a summer class doing physics 2. I wanted to get a higher grade than I had gotten in cegep originally (for McGill admissions only basically).

Because of the recent McGill announcement that prereqs are now only looked on a pass/fail basis, and are not part of a competitive assessment, I want to drop it. Since we are past the withdrawal deadline this will appear as a failure on my CEGEP transcript.

I already have passed this course in the past, and already received transfer credit for it. I also already graduated from a bachelor's degree. I signed up to this as a "continuing studies/formation continue/adult learner" type deal. 

I want to double check that this will not have any negative effect on any potential future app.

I've basically seen that:

- McGill will only take my highest grade to check if i passed it (in this case, the grade I have from when I first took it), correct?

- French med school will not look at any CEGEP grades after you've earned a bac (though I read USherb apparently cares if you fail more than 1 prereq, which this would be my first prereq "failure" technically so not a relevant concern)

- Ontario: OMSAS does not take CEGEP grades into account (though some require to see the transcript e.g. MacMaster), and 

- USA: US md schools do not care abt CEGEP grades (source: AMCAS documents)

I am almost 99% sure this will not have any effect on any chances at admissions, through my research. But I want to double check. Is there ANY WAY this failure on my CEGEP transcript could negatively affect me? I was not able to get word for word confirmation that this would not negatively affect me for UBC, and schools in the prairies/maritimes. But then again the latter are such IP bias I'm not even looking to apply. I am posting here because of high activity, and potential relevance to other prereq redoers.

Thanks

Because of the recent McGill announcement that prereqs are now only looked on a pass/fail basis (...)

Hello,

I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly. This announcement was regarding only for courses taken in Winter 2020. Also, If taken during the undergraduate degree, Basic Science prerequisite course grades will contribute to the degree GPA calculation

Source https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/admissions_update_for_2021_applications.pdf 

Did I misunderstand something?

8 minutes ago, G_Healer said:

Hello,

I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly. This announcement was regarding only for courses taken in Winter 2020. Also, If taken during the undergraduate degree, Basic Science prerequisite course grades will contribute to the degree GPA calculation

Source https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/admissions_update_for_2021_applications.pdf 

Did I misunderstand something?

It’s that now you only really have to pass your prereqs, they don’t take your GPA for them into consideration anymore. 

Minimum grades for valid science prerequisites, minimum MCAT

• All science prerequisites must be passed, and the grade must be equal to or better than the grade accepted by McGill for the purposes of transfer credit/advanced standing/course exemptions, as follows:

• CEGEP level. 60% or better
  • University level. Grade obtained must be equal to or better than the grade/CGPA required to graduate from that university. Generally this is equivalent to a C or better and is usually found on the transcript.
  • AP courses: 4 or better
  • IB: 5 or better
  • A-Level: C or better
  • French Bacc: Série S 10 or better (undergoing updates August 2020, see https://www.mcgill.ca/transfercredit/prospective/french)”

21 hours ago, G_Healer said:

yeah like someone else said the prereq gpa is not competitively assessed anymore from now on, not just for winter 2020. And since I am taking this at a CEGEP, it isn't part of my undergrad GPA.