Premed 101 Forums

Does everyone find their clique in med school?

Swáy

I'm worried about how well I'll integrate socially into med school for the exact opposite reason most people are generally worried about this kind of thing.

I'm only 19 (please don't the million and 1st person to ask how). I still love the college lifestyle and all the "college fun" it entails. I left behind all my friends my age at my university to attend med school. I'm worried that the med school environment will be a different one altogether from undergrad, one lacking the "college fun", and I'm worried that med school generally selects for a type of "stay at home rather than party" person who I might not necessarily click with. Hell some of the people in my class are married already. 

I'm fretting over the fact that I might not find anyone else like me, warranted or not. 

6 minutes ago, Swáy said:

I'm worried about how well I'll integrate socially into med school for the exact opposite reason most people are generally worried about this kind of thing.

I'm only 19 (please don't the million and 1st person to ask how). I still love the college lifestyle and all the "college fun" it entails. I left behind all my friends my age at my university to attend med school. I'm worried that the med school environment will be a different one altogether from undergrad, one lacking the "college fun", and I'm worried that med school generally selects for a type of "stay at home rather than party" person who I might not necessarily click with. Hell some of the people in my class are married already. 

I'm fretting over the fact that I might not find anyone else like me, warranted or not. 

lol you have nothing to worry about. Med students like to party and drink just the same. Med schools select for all sorts of people!

2 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

lol you have nothing to worry about. Med students like to party and drink just the same. Med schools select for all sorts of people!

Yeah. Plus...there's nothing to stop you from partying with people outside of med school! Look beyond the med bubble and you'll meet way more interesting people...

6 minutes ago, ana_safavi said:

Yeah. Plus...there's nothing to stop you from partying with people outside of med school! Look beyond the med bubble and you'll meet way more interesting people...

Yeah haha. I don't know how other med students feel, but I personally have no quarrels whatsoever about interacting with (and befriending) undergrads.

8 minutes ago, Bambi said:

In Quebec, Cegep students age 18-19 are routinely in first year med. Age makes no difference in creating friendships. In med school, I was far too busy studying to party. 

I'm not in Quebec. Age itself isn't important, it's more so the stage in life people are in, which generally tends to correlate with age.

I met people in their early 20s who'd be studying all the time and stay home even on saturday nights, wheras some people in their 30s go out and drink like there's no tomorrow. Some people get married at 21 and other are still single at 25 or 35..... But there are parties and social events that will be organized by your program. Attend those, and you'll find people who want to party and have fun like you, no matter their age!

Don't worry at all. You won't have any trouble in med school finding groups who want to party. In first year, there were large groups (probably about a quarter of the class) who went out almost every single week for the entire year. It tends to quiet down in 2nd year and in clerkship as people get over the "I got into med school" high, but first year can be as wild as you want it to be.

The other thing that you've probably got on your mind is whether or not it'll feel different for you being 19. I'm willing to bet it won't. I wasn't 19, but I and a lot of my friends were 21 when we started and nobody could tell the difference between us and the 24/25 year olds in the class. Also, if you got into med at 19, I'm assuming you're used to spending time with people at least a year or two older than you. As long as you don't broadcast it to people ("hey guess what guys, I'm finally legal drinking age haha"), nobody will ever be able to tell that you're 19 and not 22.

1 hour ago, Galaxsci said:

Don't worry at all. You won't have any trouble in med school finding groups who want to party. In first year, there were large groups (probably about a quarter of the class) who went out almost every single week for the entire year. It tends to quiet down in 2nd year and in clerkship as people get over the "I got into med school" high, but first year can be as wild as you want it to be.

The other thing that you've probably got on your mind is whether or not it'll feel different for you being 19. I'm willing to bet it won't. I wasn't 19, but I and a lot of my friends were 21 when we started and nobody could tell the difference between us and the 24/25 year olds in the class. Also, if you got into med at 19, I'm assuming you're used to spending time with people at least a year or two older than you. As long as you don't broadcast it to people ("hey guess what guys, I'm finally legal drinking age haha"), nobody will ever be able to tell that you're 19 and not 22.

I'm really not insecure about my age. I actually went through the entirety of my undergrad without telling anyone my age haha. Good to know there will be ample opportunities to have fun in med school (though probably less so this upcoming year, but what can you do).

On 6/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, Hanmari said:

Don't worry, by the time you're finishing med ed you'll just be glad you started earlier.

Oh believe me, I am already glad. It'll be tough leaving friends behind when I finally started meeting people my age in undergrad, but it's definitely a worthwhile sacrifice.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 7/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, Zachary Turbide said:

I agree with Ana 100%

I second that. 

Something I wouldn't recommend is having all of your friends in medicine. Med school classes tend to be echo chambers where classmates amplify each other's values and beliefs. It's great to stay grounded and humble by having some friends outside medicine to give you a fresh alternative perspective to various aspects of life. I think having some extracurricular activities to pursue on the side of med school is a great way to stay in touch with the average person (and remember that these "average" people will be someday your patients). Remember that med school students, while being from all sorts of different walks of life, tend to be very exceptional and can stand out a lot from their peers. IMO it's kind of hard to relate to others if you're in a "class of your own."