Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa wGPA Calculation Policy Changes

Hi all

hope you are all safe !

i am about to complete a bachelor degree and I have a question :
in the current year (and last year of my bachelor), I studied 5 courses in fall 2019 and 2 courses in winter 2020. the 2 courses in winter 2020 was the last courses I had to complete to obtain my degree and I couldn't add any other courses as per the university requirements. This happened because in one previous semesters I studied 6 courses in fall 2018 (see below)

- summer 2018 : 1 course ( 3 credits per course)
- fall 2018: 6 courses  ( 3 credits per course)
- Winter 2019: 5 courses  ( 3 credits per course)
- Summer 2019: 1 course  ( 3 credits per course)
- Fall 2019: 5 courses  ( 3 credits per course)
- winter 2020 : 2 courses  ( 3 credits per course)

I got an equivalence for 10 courses (wich totals to 30 course for the bachelor degree).

Question : do you think the year 2019-2020 will be counted in the GPA calculation  ? and if not, is there anything i can do so it will be counted in the GPA ?

Thank you !

11 minutes ago, petitmonstre111 said:

No, this year will not be counted in your GPA. I don't believe there is anything you can do for them to count it unfortunately. With the previous policy, you used to be able to make up for those missing credits in the summer, but I can't seem to see anything in their new policy allowing for that... Sorry for being the bearer of bad news :(

Thank you for you answer !

Just now, MedicineLCS said:

I would agree with petitmonstre's assessment, but since this is uncharted territory, it's worth asking admissions to get confirmation. 

i will for sure. i thought having 6 courses in one semester would gave some credits considering i was working full time but i don't think so

12 hours ago, popfossa said:

Oh damn, that's insane! 

I feel like they changed it to cGPA but kept the cutoff the same to make the applicant pool smaller. This year, uOttawa received ~4300 applications and almost 2500 applicants met the minimum cutoff based on their regions whereas in 2018, only 2142 applicants met the cutoff. That is A LOT of applications to go through to rank applicants for the interview. I wonder how many applicants will now meet the minimum cutoff for the upcoming cycle.

5 hours ago, BBALLCBMJ said:

I feel like they changed it to cGPA but kept the cutoff the same to make the applicant pool smaller. This year, uOttawa received ~4300 applications and almost 2500 applicants met the minimum cutoff based on their regions whereas in 2018, only 2142 applicants met the cutoff. That is A LOT of applications to go through to rank applicants for the interview. I wonder how many applicants will now meet the minimum cutoff for the upcoming cycle.

I think so too. Since there are many applicants who do better in their later years, this would significantly disqualify many applicants this upcoming year who previously met the cutoffs

1 hour ago, coaster_boaster said:

I think so too. Since there are many applicants who do better in their later years, this would significantly disqualify many applicants this upcoming year who previously met the cutoffs

So who is this gonna exactly benefit? People whose cGPA is already like a 3.95+? I've heard their old entrance average was around a 3.94 already smh

7 minutes ago, jonbonezjones said:

So who is this gonna exactly benefit? People whose cGPA is already like a 3.95+? I've heard their old entrance average was around a 3.94 already smh

Yup, seems like both UofT and uOttawa are moving towards a GPA policy where they reward consistency throughout one's undergrad. 

45 minutes ago, jonbonezjones said:

that may actually be the point - they need to separate out applicants. If the end up average is so high it starts becoming meaningless. They need some thing to spread out the averages more (?)

19 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

that may actually be the point - they need to separate out applicants. If the end up average is so high it starts becoming meaningless. They need some thing to spread out the averages more (?)

Problem is, if they put so much emphasis on GPA like this, isn't it entirely possible that the entire class is composed of students with like 4.0s? Or am I missing something here?

9 minutes ago, sb88 said:

How do you guys think this new cut off of 3.85 (cGPA) will impact those with lower end GPAs (closer to the cutoff)?

My understanding is that if you meet the cut off you proceed to the next step, however if youre below the cutoff then you are unable to apply.

Your GPA factors in during post-interview evaluation. 

1 hour ago, jonbonezjones said:

Problem is, if they put so much emphasis on GPA like this, isn't it entirely possible that the entire class is composed of students with like 4.0s? Or am I missing something here?

I am wondering if the weighting is basically removed then now earlier courses will of course be worth comparatively more - and statistically those tend to be courses people did worse in. This will then spread out the GPA distribution as the masking effect of higher later years is gone. Initial thoughts at least!

All of these recent changes really really really force people to hit the ground running. It is all less forgiving of a low first year performance.